People may have swelling and redness of the lining of the mouth or individual, painful ulcers. An ulcer is a sore that forms a hole in the lining of the mouth when the top layer of cells breaks down. Many ulcers appear red, but some are white because of dead cells and food debris inside the center portion. Blisters are sores that are raised and filled with clear fluid (they are called vesicles or bullae, depending on size). Rarely, the mouth looks normal even though people have symptoms of mouth inflammation (burning mouth syndrome).
Here are certain common causes of mouth ulcers :
- Stress – We have seen that many people suffer from mouth ulcers during a stressful period in their lives.
- Insufficient Sleep – People who do not take a good sound sleep do suffer from mouth ulcers.
- Stomach and Intestine Diseases – People suffering from constipation or some gastrointestinal diseases also suffer from mouth ulcers.
- Vitamin B and Folic acid deficiency – Improper diet which is mainly due to overheating of fast foods and not having a good diet rich in green leafy vegetables often lead to deficiency of essential vitamins and minerals indirectly causing mouth ulcers.
- Trauma and Food Allergies – Injury due to tooth brushing or any hot foods and beverages can cause these ulcers. Also, some people have allergies to certain foods which often cause mouth ulcers.