Papain and Bromelain are proteolytic enzymes extracted from fruits. In the past, Papain has been used for meat tenderising and in some natural cosmetics. In years past Papain has been used to remove overgrown warts and boils.
Papain and Bromelain have long been used to improve digestion. Helping to break down tough and stubborn food compounds to make for a more efficient digestion.
Bromelain is extracted from the Ananas Comosus, otherwise known as the Pineapple. Papain is extracted from the Carica Papaya or Papaya fruit.
Here are certain health benefits of Papain and Bromelain :
- Digestive diseases that Papain and Bromelain are beneficial to include, inflammatory bowel disease, colon cancer, constipation and Crohn’s disease.
- Papain and Bromelain have also been attributed to a reduction in inflammation and pain associated with this. This is why Papain and Bromelain enzymes are often given to people with arthritis or following trauma.
- You should not take Bromelain if you are allergic to pineapples.
- Bromelain is a popular supplement used for allergies and asthma. They believe that Bromelain helped to reduce CD11c (+) and DC44, which are chemicals used in the immune system to spark an allergenic immune response.
- A 2010 report on Papain has revealed that it is resistant to a particular strain of plant fungus. It is now being tested to see if it can provide similar benefits to human healthy by preventing fungal infections.