If you experience weak, brittle or peeling nails then you will be pleased to hear there are several natural remedies that you can do at home using ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen cupboard. Harnessing the power of the nutrients found in natural foods and oils also means you are missing out on the unnecessary chemicals and preservatives often added to commercial nail remedies and treatments.
Here are a few home remedies for healthy nails :
- Tea tree oil and vitamin E – Mix a few drops of tea three oil with oil from 1 vitamin E capsule. Apply to nail beds.
- Olive oils or vegetable oil – Soak nails in olive oil or vegetable oil for 10-15 minutes a day for a month.
- Coconut oil and rosemary essential oils and honey – Warm 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup honey, and 4 drops rosemary essential oil in a microwave for 20 seconds. Soak nails in solution for 15 minutes.
- Tomato juice and olive oil – Mix together 2 tbsp olive oil and `/2 cup tomato juice in a bowl. Soak nails in picture for 10 minutes, then rinse off. Recommended weekly.
- Lemon juice and olive oil – Mix 1 teaspoon olive oil with a few drops lemon juice. Massage into nails. Wear cotton gloves over hands and let the mixture soak overnight.
- Orange juice – Soak nails in orange juice for 10 minutes and then rinse off.
- Beer, apple cider vinegar and olive oil – Mix together 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup apple cider, vinegar and 1/2 cup beer. Soak nails in solution for 15 minutes.
- Wear cleaning gloves to protect your nails when you are washing dishes or doing intensive cleaning.
- Eat foods rich in protein/nutrients that promote nail growth.
- Give your nails a few weeks rest in between manicures and keep the area beneath your nails clean.
Advice is for information only and should not replace medical care. Please consult a doctor or healthcare professional before trying any remedies.