The Worst Foods for Your Brain

There are certain things that you ingest, willingly and unknowingly, that directly affect the brain. Taking in neurotoxic substances is a form of malnutrition. These foods, additives, and preservatives can be toxic to brain cells, even in small amounts.

Here is a list of few foods that are more likely to cause brain decline:

• Added Sugar : There are several research studies and clinical trials that indicate a high sugar – or artificial sweetener – intake is directly linked to poor cognitive function. Baked goods, fruit juices, soda, ice cream and the majority of processed foods on the market have high levels of added sugar.
  • Saturated Fats : Some fats are good, like those found in almonds but saturated fats which are found in animal and dairy products, like cheese and fast food hamburgers, have been linked with poor memory and slower brain processing time.
  • Fried Foods : Eating too much fried food can increase blood cholesterol levels. People who have high levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol and low levels of good cholesterol (HDL) are more likely to have a build-up of beta-amyloid proteins in their brain, which are indicators of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
  • Processed Foods : These convenience foods, including processed meats, are packed with preservatives, sugar, artificial sweeteners, sodium & other chemicals while often stripped of nutrients. Studies have shown a direct link between consumption & brain decline, especially as you age.
  • Simple Carbs : Made with white flour, these cause blood sugar to spike and then crash. Anything made with flour should include “sprouted” or “stoneground” grains, or list whole grain, such as whole wheat flour. Too much consumption of simple carbs over time can affect the hippocampus, which is the centre for learning & memory.
  • Trans Fats : Found in fast food, microwave popcorn, stick margarine, frosting, frozen pizza, refrigerated dough and coffee creamer, trans fats/partially hydrogenated oils have been shown to affect memory and cognitive function as well as increase bad cholesterol and decrease good cholesterol.

I know that I have probably overwhelmed you with all of the seemingly negative information in this post. I did it for one reason only: so that you can be an informed advocate for your own health and to discover exactly what is in all of the above mentioned foods and additives that may hinder your state of well being. Take Care.

1. Decent article. 👍🏿

1. PB says:

Thank you. Let’s make a conscious choice to avoid these foods, shall we?

2. inhiscare753 says:

PB thanks for the insightful information, found it quite interesting.

1. PB says:

I am glad you liked it:):)

1. inhiscare753 says:

Most definitely, it was truly a pleasure.

3. joliesattic says:

I totally notice a difference when I consume any of those.

1. PB says:

Yes we all should avoid eating such foodstuffs.

4. Manoj Mehra says:

Nowadays, parents have become carefree about their children’s health. Children have become addicted to Maggie, Lays, Pizza, Burger, Chowmein, cold drinks, and other fast food. There is no harm in eating them occasionally but if you eat them regularly it is not good for health.

1. PB says:

I agree with you Manoj. Nothing is as nutritious as Dal, Chaval and A gallop Of ghee :):)

1. Manoj Mehra says:

True, Indian food is very nutritious and healthy but people of India doesn’t understand this.

5. Soumili says:

Thanks for the information

1. PB says:

You are most welcome. Thank you for stopping by.

6. skirtdiary21 says:

Wow.

7. Harry says:

I wish it wasn’t the case, but you’re so right about this

Yuppers, we eat not just for energy but for the soul. Eat the rights foods and the mind and soul will help you. You can’t put water in a car and expect it to run right?

1. Harry says:

Haha! No you can’t.

Exactly. Take in the right fuel and you will the right results..infact results more than you could ever imagine :):)

8. Miki says:

I’ve found this to be so true. Thanks for the confirmation! Years ago I began reading the ingredients in the grocery store of everything I was putting inside myself, putting back the things that sounded icky (or just plain lazy as far as food production goes in this country). After getting past the initial separation discomfort, I couldn’t get over how much better I felt inside. Clear headed, less illness, a feeling of … wholeness? There are several whole aisles in the grocery store I simply avoid now, because when I do misbehave there, I feel so *ugh* right away; especially the fake sweeteners, hydrogenated and high fructose anythings. Thanks for reminding us to treat ourselves better.

This is so true Miki. Changing food habits is like changing lifestyles. You know the saying “you are what you eat?” Well, there’s some truth to it, at least as far as your brain’s concerned. While eating the right foods can help you feel better, and even fight dementia, the wrong foods can negatively impact your cognitive abilities and even increase your risk of developing dementia, Alzheimer’s, and other diseases that can affect your memory.

9. Linda Latt says:

I just wanted to say that I previously read your post on Turmeric and I am now taking a supplement with Curcumin. I hope it will be beneficial. After reading your post I did more research and your article was supported by everything I read.

Thank you Linda. Being a clinician I make sure that I put posts which are evidenced based. I am glad you liked the post.

10. Lovepuppies1 says:

Wow- that is some great information to share with others- I appreciate it- I am trying to get healthy and the little things that we do can have a very serious affect on us!!

I am glad you found the post useful. The foods we eat can have a big impact on the structure and health of our brains. Eating a brain-boosting diet can support both short- and long-term brain function.

11. Leif Price says:

To add, we should always read the label on some of our foods. I try to buy products that are low on transfat and sugar. Just little things to aid the weight loss.

I agree with you Leif. Reading food labels will make it much easier for you to compare foods and find the foods that have the nutritional value you need. It will help you and your family make healthy choices about the foods you are buying.

2. kadirvella says:

This a request from my side that dont consume this type of foods

12. I was talking to my teenage grandson just yesterday at lunch, and he asked me about what foods he should be eating so his brain worked better while studying. We first talked about the stuff he shouldn’t be eating, and I asked him first what he thought. He named junk food and sugar right off the bat, so deep down he already knew many of the answers himself. He vowed to eat more veggies and stop drooling over bacon.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us. It is nice to see young kids being particular about what they should eat and moreover how the foods affects their body. I am glad you stopped by today.

13. Alfiano Fong says:

Interesting!

Isn’t it. It’s amazing we ate three foods all these years without realising the brain damage…haha

14. Wow very great information

Thank you. Glad you liked it.

Thank you for the reblog.!

Thank you for sharing this post with by your group.

15. It’s too bad some of the restaurants, even some really good ones, don’t understand these things.

Hi Dorothy, I don’t blame them. It’s business for them and I believe there are very few people who know about such foods. It’s better to be aware yourself and be careful.

Glad you liked it Safina. What you eat directly affects the structure and function of your brain and, ultimately, your mood. Multiple studies have found a correlation between a diet high in refined sugars and impaired brain function and even a worsening of symptoms of mood disorders, such as depression. Thank you for stopping by.

16. vidzthepenowriter says:

Thanks for the useful article!😀

Glad you liked it. As the control center of your body, it’s in charge of keeping your heart beating and lungs breathing and allowing you to move, feel and think.

That’s why it’s a good idea to keep your brain in peak working condition. The foods you eat play a role in keeping your brain healthy and can improve specific mental tasks, such as memory and concentration. Thank you for stopping by.

17. mangla says:

very nice

Glad you liked it. Whether you want to optimise your nutrition during exam season or simply want to stay sharp in your next work meeting, paying attention to your diet can really pay off. Although there is no single ‘brain food’ that can protect against age-related disorders such as Alzheimers’ or dementia, and there are many other medical conditions that can affect the brain, paying attention to what you eat gives you the best chance of getting all the nutrients you need for cognitive health. Thank you for stopping by.

1. nowesigwa says:

That’s nice because I was not weakness but I don’t know my body and brain headache

This might help.

Thank you for sharing.

18. kadirvella says:

This is a request from my side that no one should consume this type of foods because it affects your body

19. kadirvella says:

This a request from my side that dont consume this type of foods

Yes one shouldn’t. We want to keep our brain healthy 🙂

20. kadirvella says:

This is a request from my side that dont consume this type of foods

21. I won’t suggest people not to have such kind of food but be in your limits

Yes that would be a good start.

22. Its time to give it up ” think you very informative.

23. thanushahope says:

very great post !!thanks for the useful information

24. thanushahope says:

thanks for the great information

Glad you found them useful.

25. nithin17 says:

Nice!!

👍🏼👍🏼

26. Thank You for sharing the information!! It is high time we understand the importance of home cooked food!! I feel it’s best to do meal prepping at home rather than consume outside food!!

Ah Yes Kanwal. Meal prepping can help reduce the stress that comes with trying to eat healthier. Solving all your food decisions in advance really frees up some of your willpower and mental stress, helping you reach your goals faster and with more ease.

27. uprgation says:

What’s up, this weekend is pleasant in support of me, sincethis time i am reading this enormous informative post here at myhouse.

28. Hey there My brother suggested I might like this website. He was totally right. This publish actually made my day. You can not consider just how a lot time I had spent for thank u