There are certain things that you ingest, willingly and unknowingly, that directly affect the brain. Taking in neurotoxic substances is a form of malnutrition. These foods, additives, and preservatives can be toxic to brain cells, even in small amounts.
Here is a list of few foods that are more likely to cause brain decline:
- Added Sugar : There are several research studies and clinical trials that indicate a high sugar – or artificial sweetener – intake is directly linked to poor cognitive function. Baked goods, fruit juices, soda, ice cream and the majority of processed foods on the market have high levels of added sugar.
- Saturated Fats : Some fats are good, like those found in almonds but saturated fats which are found in animal and dairy products, like cheese and fast food hamburgers, have been linked with poor memory and slower brain processing time.
- Fried Foods : Eating too much fried food can increase blood cholesterol levels. People who have high levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol and low levels of good cholesterol (HDL) are more likely to have a build-up of beta-amyloid proteins in their brain, which are indicators of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Processed Foods : These convenience foods, including processed meats, are packed with preservatives, sugar, artificial sweeteners, sodium & other chemicals while often stripped of nutrients. Studies have shown a direct link between consumption & brain decline, especially as you age.
- Simple Carbs : Made with white flour, these cause blood sugar to spike and then crash. Anything made with flour should include “sprouted” or “stoneground” grains, or list whole grain, such as whole wheat flour. Too much consumption of simple carbs over time can affect the hippocampus, which is the centre for learning & memory.
- Trans Fats : Found in fast food, microwave popcorn, stick margarine, frosting, frozen pizza, refrigerated dough and coffee creamer, trans fats/partially hydrogenated oils have been shown to affect memory and cognitive function as well as increase bad cholesterol and decrease good cholesterol.
I know that I have probably overwhelmed you with all of the seemingly negative information in this post. I did it for one reason only: so that you can be an informed advocate for your own health and to discover exactly what is in all of the above mentioned foods and additives that may hinder your state of well being. Take Care.