Five Strategies to Kill Procrastination

Procrastination gets a bad rap, but there are upsides to putting things off. Although procrastination can fuel creativity, giving you “time to consider divergent ideas, to think in nonlinear ways, to make unexpected leaps.” But, too much of a good thing can throw a wrench in your professional plans. Sometimes, you just need to get stuff done, and sooner rather than later. To do otherwise is to risk angering your boss, coworkers and clients — not to mention, adding a lot of unnecessary stress.

Here are five strategies to kill procrastination :

• Before going to bed, prepare a to do list of five items. You can’t trust yourself to make these decisions in the morning. You may put off things you don’t want to do and not get them done.
  • First item should be an easy and/or fun activity. When you cross this item off early in the day, you’ll build momentum and feel like crossing off more.
  • Item two is the hardest and/or lease fun thing. Do this first it will be tough to gain momentum. Put it off too long, and you’ll lack the energy/motivation to do it.
  • Then the second hardest thing. Use the momentum to get through the tough stuff already.
  • Follow that with something that has to get done. It gets easier from here.
  • Last item should be something fun. By ending with something fun, you’re adding extra motivation to get your work done early. Plus, this serves as a nice reward for your efforts.
  • Awake knowing what you have to do and get to work. Procrastination is often a result of not knowing what to do next. Decision making is also difficult. This method solves that so you can have a productive day.

Reference : https://elvindantes.com/post/156977467977/the-top-five-method-a-productivity-approach

1. Back in college, I usually started things early. Papers- I use the just write don’t think method that I learned in high school. Starting early does allow you time to edit papers and take trips to the writing center.

As for Final Exams- I usually start preparing for my first Final before the others. Slowly, I add the other classes in- especially the most difficult Final. After Finals end, I celebrated by going to WOW, by getting Chicken Tenders (I forgot what sauce I use) and at WOW also get a milkshake as well. You really need to believe you can do it and trust in the Lord especially at Finals. At both high school and college- during Senior Year, you can actually get exempt from doing Finals.

In high school- I did get exempt from all finals except for one Final. That was an Art Project- so that was something fun. In college- got exempt from all Sociology Finals. All that was left was World Civilization II and Theater Management- as a Senior, you have to get your Finals done by a certain day and time. So being a Senior was exciting at Finals. The crazy thing is before I took my Western Civilization II Final- my teacher knew I would pass (Western Civ at GWU is extremely difficult- it was my paper that made me pass my class with a C- (many people really thought I would get a D (which is what tends to happen to most students taking the class).

That is great. Thank you for sharing this information.

2. gpavants says:

Garima,

Passing this on to my students. It’s a good tip.

Thanks,

Gary

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 11:32 AM Be Inspired..!! wrote:

> GS posted: ” Procrastination gets a bad rap, but there are upsides to > putting things off. Although procrastination can fuel creativity, giving > you “time to consider divergent ideas, to think in nonlinear ways, to make > unexpected leaps.” But, too much of a good thing ” >

I am glad you liked it Gary.

3. Different perspective, i understand the perspective that you wanted to bring here, train the sub conscious mind previous night to complete things the following day, but the big thing I feel you are missing in this picture is the uncertainty that pops up in the next day, I agree few times we won’t do because of laziness but there are few times were other important works pop up because of priority and one can’t complete the designated tasks planned previous night, I agree one should not lose hope and try again, but disappointments do pop up, what’s your take on this.. am I missing something that you are trying to convey ??

One thing that is important is consistency in practising any of the strategies which work for you. Choose one and find time to stick to it. Pick up the easiest. Small steps everyday. Things take time to change, specially behaviour.

Thank you for the reblog.

Thank you for the reblog.

1. Always and honor and pleasure to read and share your posts, My Dear!!
        xoxo
        😘💕🌹

Thank you.

4. Nuella Igwe says:

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed the write up.

Glad you liked the post.