A lack of confidence is something that men and women both suffer from. When you lack confidence people treat you badly as your body language screams “victim.” Don’t think faking confidence is very hard, it need not be. Learning how to be more confident takes time. Take small steps and your success will grow. Just as negative body language can cause difficulties, appearing comfortable and confident can help smooth your path through life.
Here are a few ways in which you can fake confidence :
- Your Appearance – Make a point to be well groomed and well dressed. When you go out in public subconsciously it will make you feel more confident in yourself and other people will perceive you as a confident person.
- Eye Contact – Make a point to look into the person’s eyes and mentally note the person’s eye colour when conversing.
- Speak Only When Necessary – Confident people do not feel the need to hog the conversation or ramble on and on to fill the silence. Ask questions and listen.
- Be Decisive – Confident people make strong decisions without second guessing themselves all the time. Go with your gut when making a choice and verbally stick to it.
- Stay The Other Person’s Perspective – Make a point to remember the other person’s name and to use it throughout the conversation which will make you appear in control of the social situation.
- Posture – People who stand tall appear more confident than people who slouch. When you stand straight, your ears, shoulders, hips, knees and ankles should make one straight line. When you are walking, keep your head up with eyes straight ahead and walk with purpose.
- Body Language – Don’t be afford to take up space. Confident people feel more comfortable taking up space in a social situation. Keep your hands away from your face and avoid fidgeting. When you are speaking to another person, make a point to subtly mirror the other person’s position and gestures.
- Attitude – What’s the difference between a confident person and an insecure person? A confident person exudes a sense of calmness and being in control. Don’t act nervous.
Appearing confident takes a lot of practice. Keep telling yourself how confident you are.