What is Smudging? Smudging a way to energetically cleanse a space to invite positive energy. When smudging a space, you burn plant material. The smoke fills and purifies the environment. There are many different plant materials you can use for smudging. Some common ones are: sage, cedar, sweet grass, and lavender.
White sage is probably the most common and popular herb for smudging. It is associated with purity and has a strong and heavy presence. It’s definitely useful for when you need a major space cleansing. As the smoke ascends, our wishes and intentions rise and mingle into the universe, connecting heaven, earth, and humanity. Smoke offerings are found in Buddhism, Indigenous practices in the U.S., and many other spiritual religions. The smoke ceremony creates transformation and blesses a space and the inhabitants.
Let’s look at some smudge sticks
- White Sage – Best known ceremonial smudge plant. It can change the mood and the energy of a room. It is also used for meditation, cleansing and purification.
- Juniper – Burned for ritual purification and to invigorate the mind and body when tired.
- Lavender – Used for cleansing, psychic protection, increasing clairvoyance, creating the energy of happiness and healing, purification and tranquility.
- Mugwort – Used traditionally to cleanse energy and get rid of negativity, mugwort also has a reputation of stimulating dreams, therefore many burn it before bedtime.
- Cedar – People have used it to drive out negative energy, bring in good influences, and even to bless new house when people are moving in.
- Rosemary – This herb is a powerful cleanser for your home and your own aura, its associated with fire, the sun and masculine energy.
- Palo Santo – Purifying the spirit and clearing negative energy also known to inspire negativity, bring a deeper connection to the divine soul and aid in physical healing.