To Reduce Extreme Emotion Mind Fast – Remember these as TIP skills
T – Tip the temperature of your face with cold water (to calm down fast)
- Holding your breath, put your face in a bowl of cold water or hold a cold pack (or zip-lock bag of cold water) on your eyes and cheeks.
- Hold for 30 seconds. Keep water above 50F.
I – Intense Exercise (to calm down your body when it is revved up by emotion)
- Engage in intense exercise, if only for a short while.
- Expend your body’s stored up physical energy by running, walking fast, jumping, playing basketball, lifting weights, etc.
P – Paced Breathing (pace your breathing by slowing it down)
- Breathe deeply into your belly.
- Slow your pace of inhaling and exhaling way down (on average, five to six breaths per minute).
- Breathe out more slowly than you breathe in (for example, 5 seconds in and 7 seconds out).
P – Paired Muscles Relaxation (to calm down by paring muscle relaxation with breathing out)
- While breathing into your belly deeply tense your body muscles (not so much as to cause a cramp)
- Notice the tension in your body.
- While breathing out, say the world “Relax” in your mind.
- Let go of the tension.
- Notice the difference in your body.