Should We Be Kind?

on

“Choose being kind over being right, and you’ll be right every time.”

I agree with this quote by Richard Carlson, author of “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and It’s All Small Stuff.” But sometimes I find myself wondering exactly how to be kind. What does it mean to be kind? And even if I know it’s right, is there a “right” way to be kind?

There are lots of other words associated with kindness: if you’re kind, you’re likely friendly, caring, and generous. You may also sympathize with others, and people might describe you as warm-hearted and considerate. Kindness isn’t only about “being” a certain way, though; it’s about action, doing kind acts. That “doing” is where I always struggle. What if someone wants me to do something that I don’t want to do? Is it kindness to do it anyway, if it will help them?

When the Dalai Lama says, “My religion is kindness,” I imagine that he sees kindness as compassion for all living thingsincluding himself. I always figured that kindness (to him) might include forgiving everyone for not always being their perfect selveseven yourself. It seems to me that kindness, and being kind, also applies to yourself. So if I help someone else, it’s kindness if I’m doing it out of compassion and caring for that person. But if I’m doing it because I think I’m supposed to, or out of a sense of guilt, maybe it isn’t really kind? Maybe my dragging feet and that sense of dread are telling me something!Perhaps the choice to be kind is really about choosing something to give or do willingly and happily to make someone else feel good? Maybe kindness should make everyone feel better?What do you think?

1. Brand says:

I agree. The hard part comes with truth. Sometimes, when you know a relationship isn’t going to work, the kindest act is telling the other the painful truth. It’s hard. It’s sad. But it’s right.

2. Kritika says:

‘It seems to me that kindness, and being kind, also applies to yourself.’ Agree. It does.
    I agree with you completely.
    Hope your day was amazing.

Just as important as it is to be kind to others, it’s equally important to practice kindness towards yourself. This is the power of acceptance and growth. Being kind to yourself promotes happiness and confidence, how you treat yourself sets the tone for how others will treat you.

1. Kritika says:

Exactly! I second your thought.

♥️

3. malaikamuses says:

I think kindness is good as long as you don’t feel you are sacrificing your own self. In the process of being kind you should have clear boundaries and no expectations for a reward for the kindness other than your soul satisfaction. What’s your take?

I agree with you. Healthy boundaries are key

1. Always a joy and pleasure to read and share your posts with followers, My Dear! Hope you have a great day!! xoxox 😘💕🎁🌹