People are weird, complicated creatures. That fact can make managing social life tricky if you haven’t studied up on the quirks of human psychology. But the reverse is also true. By learning a few simply psychological truths about how our minds work, you can give yourself a huge leg up when it comes to succeeding at work, finding love, and getting what you want in life. And mastering basic psychological hacks will also give you a big advantage over most people, who navigate the world on instinct and emotion alone.
Here are some psychological life hacks :
- My personal favourite is when people are angry at me; if I stay calm it’ll get them even angrier, and be ashamed about it after.
- If you have a warm hadn’t when you shake somebody’s hand, you immediately become a more desirable person to get along with.
- People have a certain image of themselves and will fight tooth and nail to cling to it. Use this information wisely. You can make people dislike you by attacking their self-image.
- False attribution of arousal. When you take somebody out on a first date, take them somewhere exciting that will get their heart beating, e.g. roller coaster or horror film. This gets their adrenaline up. It makes them think they enjoy spending time with you rather than the activity.
- The key to confidence is walking into a room, and assuming everyone already likes you.
- The physical effects of stress (increased breathing rate, heart rate etc), mirror identically the physical effects of courage. So when you’re feeling stress from any situation immediately reframe it, your body is getting ready to do courage, it’s not feeling stress.