Daily Dose for the Soul

on

In this day and age, it is not easy to be truthful. It has never been easy because truth is mostly punished. Most people don’t even want to hear the truth, they are happy living in a cocoon of lies. Sometimes, there’s no way of sugarcoating the truth. Especially in a situation where the other person doesn’t want to handle the truth, it doesn’t matter how gently you tell them, they will react unfavourably. This is the single most reason why most people tell lies countless times every day. It’s easier to get away with a lie than handle truth.

Someone calls you and you don’t take their call because you don’t feel like it. When you call back that person, you can’t say, “I didn’t want to speak to you.” You lie saying that you were either busy or the phone was on silent mode and so on. The other person knows too that you are most probably telling a lie but they don’t want to hear the truth either. Truth would hurt them more.

Between truth and compassion, choose compassion. That is not to say that one should tell a lie but I would rather hurt myself than hurt the other person. You may think it’s unusual but if you reflect on even your own life, you would find innumerable instances where you chose to hurt yourself out of compassion rather than hurting the other person. It’s not uncommon. Most of us do it. When you make a commitment to lead a citrus life, you see yourself doing it motor often. Putting the other person before yourself, that’s what compassion is. Truth on the other hand is putting your principle before the other person. Sometimes that is more important.

Reference : A Million Thoughts. Om Swami.

1. I agree with being compassionate firstly. Even though I’m a true blue Saggitarian known for our bluntness. As for telling the truth, I’m the first one to ‘toss myself under the bus’, not the other person involved. If I have a good secure friendship I can be truthful in a hilarious way getting a good laugh.

Yes being truthful with compassion and humour goes a long way. Good Luck.

2. AP2 says:

Interesting reflections. I’m not so sure that putting the other person before yourself is what I would call compassion. For me compassion should be universal – that must include yourself. Often the best way to look after others is to look after yourself first. People often don’t want to be honest with those they love because they don’t want to hurt them – however being honest is often the kinder thing to do. That’s not to say the truth can’t be delivered compassionately of course but in many cases the truth still hurts. Wise compassion is about delivering the truth even though it will hurt that person to hear it – because you know it will hurt them more not to. Of course telling a white lie has its place but overall I believe that honesty is the best medicine. My 2 cents worth. Wishing you all the best, AP2

I shared this outlook with you till I read and wrote this post. Its a behaviour change we will have to inculcate. Speak the truth but with compassion and understanding is what I took from this. Is it something that you would consider as well?

1. AP2 says:

Absolutely. Agree with that. The main point I guess I was trying to make is that the truth can often hurt however compassionately itโ€™s delivered. Sometimes you canโ€™t avoid the pain of brutal honesty. But yes I agree that delivering the truth tactfully and with compassion and I would add, encouragement to become better is the best way to go about it. Thanks for conversing. I always enjoy the debate ๐Ÿ™

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Glad you liked the post. Which part agreed with you more?

3. Wow, I have never looked at it this way! amazing insight right here. Great post!

Yes, intriguing indeed. When I read Between truth and compassion, choose compassion, it struck me hard. I always thought being truthful even at the cost of being hated was the right way. Glad you liked the post too.

What would you choose compassion or blunt honesty?