Your lifestyle plays a huge role on the strength os your memory. Do the following to keep your memory sharp :
- Exercise regularly.
- Get adequate sleep every night.
- Decrease stress which depletes memory storage.
- Studies have shown that people with active social lives suffer less memory loss. It also helps to drink up (in moderation).
- Use it or lose it. Keep challenging your brain with new skills and new ideas.
- Eat food that is good for your brain health such as fish and food high in folic acid.
- Practice regular meditation. It increases memory and improvises cognitive functions.
Need help remembering something? Here are 7 common techniques to help. You retain simple to complex information :
- A simple yet effective technique : Say it out loud or write it down.
- Combine your piece of information with some sort of physical gesture or movement.
- Need to remember a list? Make the list into a memorable acronym or acrostic.
- Pair your memory with a bizarre visual image. The weirder, the more efficient).
- Chunk it! If you have a long string of information you need to remember, break it up into chunks.
- Use the method of loci. Technique commonly called “The Mental Wall” It is a way to use memorised spatial relationships as a way to retrieve and recollect information. For example : if you want to remember what you need to buy at a supermarket, imagine placing each of those items in every room of your house. To remember your grocery list for future use, imagine visiting each room of your house one by one.
- Make sure you give your information enough time (at least a few minutes) of focused attention for it to sink in to your memory. Don’t forget to consciously practice retrieving it afterwards.