A new year is always a great opportunity to start fresh and make your goals happen; to get inspired and make changes to your lifestyle for the better. New Year’s resolutions can vary greatly, but they are all about achieving something that will have a positive impact in your life. Whatever your goal is – the important thing is that you are on the right path to achieve it.
Here are few tips to help you stick to your New Year resolutions and maximize your chances of not giving up :
- Don’t think resolution think more in terms of what positive new habit you want to integrate into your life.
- Focus one resolution at a time. For example, focus on one new habit you want to develop every month for the next 12 months.
- Think small, manageable, realistic steps that are quantifiable you are more likely to fail at a super general goal.
- Publicise your goals, to your family, friends, the internet etc. Share your progress with them. Even better make it a group goal with your partner/family/friend.
- Quantify what exactly you want to accomplish/where you want to be upon completion. Be as specific as possible.
- Enforce regular deadlines for sub-goals so you are always on track.
- Be sure to reward yourself with positive feedback when you are making strong headway with your goals.
- Schedule weekly/monthly/quarterly reviews for your own progress so you don’t forget about your resolutions by February.
- Write down your own internal motivation for accomplishing your goal and why the resolution is important to you.
- Anticipate self sabotage with strategies for overcoming them.
- Keep a win journal where you lost personal accomplishments to remind yourself of the progress you are making.
- Focus on what you are gaining not what you are depriving yourself of.