Dialectical means that 2 ideas can booth be true at the same time. What does dialectical open mind thinking mean? Here’s a view of what is it :
- There is always more than one true way to see a situation and more than one true opinion, idea, thought, or dream.
- Two things that seem like (or are) opposites can both be true.
- All people have something unique, different, and worthy to teach us.
- A life worth living has both comfortable and uncomfortable aspects (happiness and sadness; anger and peace, hope and discouragement, fear and ease etc).
- All points of view have both true and false within them.
- Your re right & the other person is right.
- You are doing the best that you can & you need to try harder, do better, and be more motivated to change.
- You can take care of yourself & you need help and support from others.
Being dialectical means :
- Letting go of self righteous indignation.
- Letting go of “black and white”, “all or nothing” ways of seeing a situation.
- Looking for what is “left out” of your understanding of a situation.
- Finding a way to validate the other person’s point of view.
- Expanding your way of seeing things.
- Getting “unstuck” from standoffs and conflicts.
- Being more flexible and approachable.
- Avoiding assumptions and blaming.
If you wish to learn how to untwist your thinking, this post can provide some inspiration > https://empress2inspire.blog/2020/07/13/tips-to-untwist-your-thinking/