Daily Dose of Self Love

Welcome to the Daily Dose of Self Love. This series will be about self love, self care, self esteem and self worth. Basically everything related with SELF. My aim with this series is to give you a daily boost of self love and self care. We all get busy with our lives and sometimes it leaves us less or no time to take time for ourselves, be with ourselves, wash off all the negativity that we accumulated during the day with self love, meditation, etc. The daily boost will be in an easy to understand and more importantly something which is relatable. So Welcome!!

Self Love Practice Tip #62

Today we will talk about body positivity. A lot of people have this question whether you can have both fitness and weight loss goals at the same time and still remain body positive. The answer is both yes and no. This is biggest controversy with body positivity. People do not truly understand what body positivity is. So things are said like, “You are promoting obesity”, “You are promoting unhealthy behaviours”, and I personally hate this one, “You should not be content with themselves”. I am only shocked when I hear these comments is because people are so stuck with diet culture mentality and are truly & literally judgemental and stereotypical and most of these people also think that their self worth and value is tied to their weight. Why? Everyone should be “content” with who they are now. I put “content” in air quotes because people don’t know how to love who they are right now in the present moment. Your shouldn’t have to start living life when you have lost the weight or accomplished fitness goals. Part of truly living is living in the moment and enjoying the process.

Come back tomorrow to learn more about body positivity.

1. Well… Live in a moment while taking care of what you can change because you want to not have to.Please don’t make “a have to” a “want to” understand the pros and cons of weight gain and weight loss.

🙌🏼🙌🏼

2. Taylor B says:

I definitely agree. I don’t always do right with my body positivity. Just this morning, I called myself fat. I hate that I think that way, but with the societal influence of what attractive is, it’s been brainwashed into me. I’m trying my best to look at myself with positivity. My stomach, thigh, and butt I always think “This body bore a beautiful child.” It helps to look at it that way. I’m working on it. I still want to make better life choices, but overall, I’m happy with my body. I think people should be content with their bodies and not worry so much about weight. They should worry about being healthy. If that means losing weight, then so be it, but I think it’s important to strive to be healthy, not skinny.

Body positivity has shed light on the truth that we are more than just our bodies. You are a whole person. You have thoughts, feelings, and actions that are a part of who you are. When you show your body love and acceptance, you give yourself space to focus on all of the other amazing parts of who you are

3. Haley Scully says:

I love this! It’s so true, too. And I adore the message that people should be happy with themselves as they already are and live in the moment while they have the chance. Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece!

Thank you Haley. The phrase “body positivity” is used more frequently now than ever, but there is still some confusion around what body positivity is. Body positivity is a movement that represents appreciation, respect and acceptance for bodies as they are, and for the functions and activities they do. More specifically, body positivity includes:

– Appreciating unique aspects of one’s body
      – Gratitude for the functions a body can perform
      – Admiration for parts and features of the body, even if they differ from societal ideals
      – Comfort and confidence within one’s body
      – A focus on the positives rather than perceived imperfections or flaws
      – A rejection of negative images or information about bodies

1. Haley Scully says:

You’re very welcome! And thank you for sharing this as well! It’s a great description of what body positivity truly is and what it entails. 💗

Most welcome.

4. This is perfect. I try to explain the concept of self love when it comes to your appearance to the people who diet and exercise with me. It seems we have accepted the extremes when it comes to weight loss, either you hate your body and punish yourself to change it, or you love yourself just the way you are and you shouldn’t change at all. Glad to see someone explain it so fully and clearly. Loving and accepting yourself is the only real way to making healthy changes to your appearance that can be life long.

To adopt a more loving stance toward ourselves is the key prerequisite for our self- acceptance: We have only to change the way we look at ourselves. I desire real self-love.

5. Carol anne says:

living in the moment is key! I agree, we should be content with who we are!

Yes it is only when we are comfortable with who we are, we can grow.

6. Kritika says:

In agreement with each statement you wrote about Body Positivity. It is the problem with our society that we have instilled no value of love in our children but competition with limits considered equal to perfection. Unknown about each individual is perfect as the way it is.

The body positivity message is that you should change how you feel about your body, but can also be just one more demand. Simply telling people to accept themselves and be resilient in the face of the bombardment of images promoting the thin ideal can be damaging.

1. Kritika says:

Rightly said. It can be.

🙏🏼

1. Always a joy and pleasure to read and share your posts with followers, My Dear! Have a great day!! xoxox 😘💕🎁🌹

💙💙

7. LaDonna Remy says:

This is good advice. We shouldn’t have to start living only when we’ve met a predetermined ( not even truly by us- but society’s) goal. I really like and appreciate this.

Thank you LaDonna. We need a cultural mindset change on body positivity, wouldn’t you agree?

1. LaDonna Remy says: