Get ready to maximise your potential, maximise your living with empress2inspire’s new posts series “Daily Dose of Living”. These series will bring you the best in personal development and productivity every day of the week. Your best life awaits.
Today we will continue to talk about how people chose their careers in life. Step two is to know how a job is really right for you. Once you’ve tentatively selected a few job titles, it’s time to do some deep research. This is where you go from “Hmm…sounds interesting” to truly understanding what the job is about. Remember: you don’t have to become 100% knowledgeable about these roles… just yet. You just want to learn as much as you need to see if a job is right for you. Let’s use the job title of “engineer” as an example of what you’ll want to look for.
The first thing, you’ll want to do is get a bird’s eye view of the job:
- What do engineers actually do?
- What are the different types of engineers out there (petroleum, electrical, civil…)?
- What kinds of companies do they work for?
As you tackle those broad and sweeping questions, you may start to eliminate some options you originally listed. And that’s okay. In fact, that’s expected. Just because something sounds interesting in theory, doesn’t always mean it will be. You actually want to narrow things down in this stage. If at any point, you run out of job titles on your list, simply go back to step one (with your new insights on what you want from a job) and start again.
Once you have a basic high-level understanding of the positions, you can dive deeper into the nitty-gritty details:
- What does this job pay?
- What type of educational experience is required?
- What’s the trajectory?
- What does the job look like on a day to day basis?
- How many hours per week do they work?
- Is there travel involved?
- What makes a great engineer vs. simply a good one? Is it strategic vision? Creative ideas? Quantitative skills?
- What blogs / books / websites do they read regularly in order to stay “in the know?”
The whole time you’re going through this process, ask yourself “Could I see myself doing this?” and “Is this something that still interests me?” This process helps you discover what it is you truly enjoy. Once you’ve narrowed your list down again, you’re ready to hear from people who actually work in these roles. That’s how you guarantee this is the right career choice.
Come back tomorrow for more inspiration.