Happiness

I think we’ve been taught from such a young age that happiness is meant to be this big, all consuming thing. That it is this month that cracks open our bones and changes our lives and sweeps all of the weight inside of us away. That it is something that is awarded to us, gifted to us by the world. That it is something that is awarded to us, gifted to us by the world. That it is something we are always in pursuit of until we find it.

And so, we are always waiting. Waiting for this experience, this simplifying in life, that “aha” moment where the wound are all healed and the growth is all organised neatly within our ribcages and our hearts aren’t afraid of loving anymore and the warmth never leaves.

But I don’t think happiness is big, or infinite, at all. I think real happiness, true happiness, exists in the acceptance of the fact that we will always be balancing what is light and dark within ourselves. I think real happiness, true happiness, exists in the quiet. In the small things. In a morning cup of coffee, in the sound of your mother’s voice on the other end of the phone. I think real happiness, true happiness, is believing that you are meant to be here, that you are meant to take up space in this world.I think real happiness, true happiness, is finding the human beings who take care of you, not in a materialistic way, but rather, finding the human beings who take care of your soul, who take care of even the most chaotic parts of who you are. I think real happiness, true happiness, is all around you, at all times, pinned and blooming in the things you stopped paying attention to because you were always searching for more. Flowers on your walk to work. The intensity in the air when you meet someone and you know they’re going to change your life. The way your stomach flips when you hear your favourite song. The way your person’s eyelashes feel as they blink across your neck when you’re holding them.

And I don’t think happiness is something you find, or that it is this destination you get to where the night never comes and you are bulletproof and unaffected by the mayhem. I think the mayhem will always exist, we are literally made from it, we wouldn’t even be here if it weren’t for the crashing and the banging of atoms within this Universe. No, I think happiness exists in the understanding that the pain holds just as much importance as thee beauty. I think happiness exists in finding the things that make us feel known, and special, and at peace in this world, no matter how small or insignificant they feel, and letting them save us. I think happiness exists in learning how to embrace the dark, in learning how to see it as the very thing that makes us appreciate the light.

1. Storyteller says:

My parents never taught us that. It was more about having a good work ethic and doing the right thing.

Life is difficult, it is what we know and it is what we believe. We often wonder about the reason for our existence, which is still a mystery to us. We are so caught up in the pursuit of fame, fortune, and money that we lose sight of the more important things in life.

1. Storyteller says:

There comes a time when you look back and realise there needs to be a balancing act between working life and personal life. Life may be difficult at times but I take great joy in knowing love and adventure.

Absolutely

2. Michelle says:

Lovely post, very insightful and true. Happiness is not a destination of perfection. It is a daily choice – even when things dont go our way.

Being happy every day does not mean that you will be happy every moment. That is impossible and unrealistic. Instead, aim to become a person who is well-rounded emotionally. Once you are comfortable feeling a range of emotions, you will be better able to get in touch with how to be happy.

3. Janice Reid says:

I couldn’t agree more, very well said!

Glad you liked the post

4. Yes, this is happiness.

Glad you agree

5. Happiness is big when we recognize that it’s an accumulation of all the little lights that balance the dark. It is constant and it’s our choice to recognize it.

I agree. The little things in life aren’t really little. They become the cornerstone of our days and they create the life we live. They gradually paint the masterpiece that is life, yet we mistakenly believe that only the big things make a profound difference.

6. The little things that can make you come alive ☺️ I really do love some of the things you’ve staged here, perhaps it is those things that make us come alive, but in a seeking state that blinds us to these special moments. Goodness, life has some complicated ways of teaching us lessons, but I am here for it. May the happiness come when we are able to pause, similar to when you stop to look fear in the face… disallowing it to make you quick to any emotion or rather reactive state. Give yourself a moment, before going forward, running all the time… without stopping to check where you’re route will be may led ya to places you just don’t want to be. Learned that the hard way, cheers to divine direction, and active division making. Present moments are present for a reason, receive them as unexpected gifts, because that is what they are.

Living in the present moment requires that you take the time to appreciate where you are, what you’re doing, and who is with you. Instead of becoming caught up in the past or worrying about what will happen in the future, try to savor each moment as it passes

7. I love this post. So very true.

Glad you liked the post Cassandra

Happiness is that feeling that comes over you when you know life is good and you can’t help but smile. It’s the opposite of sadness. Happiness is a sense of well-being, joy, or contentment. When people are successful, or safe, or lucky, they feel happiness.

1. David says:

I am so inspired

2. Thank you 💜 I loved that!

Glad you agree

8. For many happiness is a ‘destination’ – when I have more money, when I retire, when I get that new house, etc. but in reality is that happiness is the journey itself.

Yes unfortunately