An emotional affair is a relationship between a person and someone else that has a level of emotional intimacy that affects and distances a person’s emotional intimacy with their spouse. Sometimes an emotional affair can be when one person falls in love with another person, but is not yet a physical relationship. Thought not all emotional affairs are sexual, an emotional affair often turns into a sexual affair over time.
Here are a few sign of an emotional affair :
- Secrecy – They feel the need to hide their friendship from you. Whether it is outright lying or simply not telling you, their is a need to hide when they meet their friend or delete conversations with them on their phone.
- Flirting – They flirt with their friend either digitally or in person. They brush it off as harmless flirting because they are just friends.
- Thinking about them – They tend to always have their friend on their mind.
- Change in behaviour – They start dressing differently, and taking up new hobbies or routines that may include their friend.
- Prioritising the friendship – This is the biggest sign of an emotional affair. We only have so much energy to give. When someone is putting more energy into a friendship than they are into their spouses, it is a big sign of an emotional affair.
Hope this helps.