When we think about depression, we often think about prolonged sadness and a lack of productivity and motivation. While those are really common symptoms of depression, they also aren’t the only ones. Depression doesn’t always look like depression; it’s not always visible sadness. Sometimes depression looks like throwing yourself into work and using substances to cope; sometimes it looks like smiling on the outside while you actually struggle with self blame and numbness.
These are a few signs of how depression look like :
- Increased substance use as a coping mechanism.
- Risky behaviours and not caring about consequences.
- Sudden bursts of anger towards yourself or others.
- Smiling and socialising despite feeling completely numb
- Intense guilt and feelings of unworthiness.
- Becoming completely overwhelmed when something goes wrong
- Constantly keeping yourself busy and overworking yourself
What does depression look like for you?