When we’re looking for a therapist, it’s very helpful to be aware of our preferences and pre-requisites for therapists. That can help us narrow down our options.
Here are some good questions to ask yourself when you’re looking for a therapist.
- Do you have a gender preference for you therapist?
- Would you prefer a therapist who is LGBTQ+?
- Do you want a therapist who shares your cultural background?
- Do your therapist’s religious or spiritual views matter to you?
- What’s your budget?
- Is your potential therapist a specialist in the things you’re struggling with?
- How often would you like to have sessions?
- Do you prefer online therapy or in-person sessions?
- Do you have a favourite therapeutic approach?
What else would you add?