Trick to Overcome Fear

Think about it: what are you scared of? Something that you don’t like or something unknown to you, isn’t it? For instance, if you are scared of not being able to finish your work on time, it’s because you probably do not like being scolded by your boss, or if you are scared of playing a badminton match, it’s probably because you are unsure of who is going to win. There is only one fear and the fear is of extinction and this is kept by nature. You cannot manage anything through fear. Only a little bit of fear is essential.

Here is an easy trick to overcome fear :

• Think about a negative experience of school or of learning in general. Notice how much stress or discomfort you are feeling, and rate it on a scale of one to ten, this lets you measure how much you reduce it. If your initial level of discomfort is not at least a six, think about additional incidents or learning situations until it is.
  • Now clear your mind, or just think about something nice.
  • Next, use both hands to tap on both your collarbones.
  • While you continue tapping on your collarbones, look straight ahead, keep your head still, and close and open your eyes.
  • Continue tapping and, keeping your head still, look down to the left then down to the right.
  • Continue tapping, keeping your head still, and move your eyes in a full circle clockwise and then anti-clockwise.
  • Now cross your arms, place your hands on the tops of your shoulders and close your eyes.
  • Next stroke your hands down the side of your arms from your shoulders to your elbows, down and up, again and again.
  • As you carry on stroking the sides of your arms imagine you are walking down a flight of stairs and count our loud from one to 20 with each step that you take.
  • When you reach 20, hum the tune “Happy Birthday”.
  • Now, let your arms drop and relax them, and open your eyes and look up in front of and move you.
  • Move your eyes slowly from left to right and back three times.
  • Close your eyes and stroke the sides of your arms again five times.
  • Now open your eyes and check, on your scale from one to ten, the number of the feeling now.

If it is way down the bottom, congratulations, you have personally changed your own feeling state. If you think that the stressful feeling is not yet reduced enough, just repeat the sequence until it is reduced as far as you want.

NOTE : This exercise is very powerful and is worth repeated practice. It will work to reduce your stress and discomfort around pretty much any negative experience you can think of. Now that you have prepared your mind for leaning, you can progress to specific exercises to make you smarter.

Reference : https://www.lovethispic.com/image/177141/how-to-free-your-mind-from-fear

1. I went to college- there have been multiple ways I have dealt with stress. Going to The Gathering (student-led worship service), Student Activity Events, getting something to eat or drink at Broad River (that is our coffee shop), participating in a club- I was a student, and never once procrastinated. The tip is to start early instead of too late- especially at papers and finals

Overcoming fears means that great otherwise unforeseen opportunities might come our way, perhaps a new job, a new relationship or a new hearing experience. Overcoming fears forces us to learn and embracing risk-taking also helps you to overcome a fear of failure.

1. I may have a small comfort zone, but had to do things outside of it. Things I thought would never happen

Well That is Brave of You!!!!

3. There are some things I thought I would never come to love or be.

Being a leader in college- well, I see myself more of a follower.

Moving to the suites- really wanted to stay in the dorms for my entire university life, but in the last year of undergrad, I moved to the suites (one of the best decisions ever)

Actually thought I would never love tragedies, psychology or sociology- turns out I would like these. I am Sociology Major.

You are an inspiration indeed.

5. I would have to learn some of these the hard way.

I don’t know what prompted me to take psychology in college. Taking it led to taking sociology. The crazy thing about not thinking I would take these two classes is that I already liked them.

It was the genre of tragedy that made me learn things the hard way. When my family took my sister and I to see the musical film of Les Mis, they did not tell me something. I had to learn from watching the movie that it would be a tragedy: if my parents told me, I wouldn’t have gone. However, I had to give a 2nd chance on Les Mis, and after that the rest is history.

Les Mis isn’t the only tragedy or sad show I love:

1. Hunchback of Notre Dame
        2. La Bohéme
        3. Rent
        4. West Side Story- well kinda of sort of like this musical

I now am fascinated by Hadestown- a musical based on the Orpheus and Eurydice myth

At the basic level fear guides our fight or flight responses and helps to keep us safe and alive. Fear heightens your senses and awareness; it keeps you alert and helps in better preparation. The negative side of fear is when it holds you back from doing something positive.

Thank you for the reblog.

2. Interesting exercise. I will give this a try. I’ve tried tapping and had excellent results. Is this based in that philosophy?

Yes more or less. There are the eight main tapping points and one point on your hand known as the karate chop spot on the heel of your hand. The other 8 points are, your eyebrow, side of your eye, under your eye, under your nose, your chin, your collarbone, under your arm, and the top of your head.

1. Nice, I will try those as well. Thank you

Yasss we are greater than our fears.