Did you know that there are strengthening exercises to do at your desk which can really improve your well-being? There are many exercises designed for those who are busy working an 9 to 5 job and just don’t have the time for a normal exercise routine. We also know that work can get stressful and it’s nice to be able to take a break, calm down, and then refocus on the task at hand.
Below, you’ll find some of our favorite exercises designed to keep you in shape and help calm your mind when you need it most
- Basic Neck Stretches – To keep your neck from getting stiff, rotate your neck from side to side, forward and backward, and look left and right. Do not roll your neck, as that is not good for your neck joints.
- Roll It – To prevent carpal tunnel syndrome, roll your wrists clockwise and counterclockwise every hour. For good circulation and to keep muscles from getting stiff, do the same for ankles and shoulders.
- Squeeze & Release – Contract your abdominal muscles, hold for a few seconds, release. Similarly, squeeze your butt cheeks together as tightly as possible, hold for a few seconds, release.
- Do the Funky Chicken – Method 1 – Place fingertips on shoulders to extend elbow. Bring elbows as far as possible and then touch elbows in the front. Repeat 10 times. Method 2 – Starting at the same position. Raise your elbows up and then bring them down as thought you are flapping your wings. Repeat ten times.
- Leg/Foot Raises – While sitting and at a 90 degree angle, lift your foot a few inches off the ground for as long as possible. Repeat with other foot. To do a leg raise, extend your leg in front of you so that it is level with your hip and hold for as long as possible. Repeat with other leg.
- Desk/Desk Chair Exercise – Using an office chair with wheels. Hold onto the edge of the desk and push yourself back while extending your legs all the way. Pull yourself back to original position and contract your legs.
- Chest Stretch – Back stud from being hunched over your computer? Stretch your arms wise apart as though you are about to hug someone and pull your shoulder back while rotating your wrists externally.
- Water Bottle Weight Lifting – Do some light weight lifting using 1-2 full water bottles.
- Use An Elastic Band – Do a variety or stretching exercises with an elastic resistance band. Elastic bands are cheap, versatile, and easy to carry around.
- Use a Hand Gripper – Build your forearm muscularity, hand strength and dexterity by regularly squeezing on a hand gripper. Perfect for long conference calls.
- Sit On An Exercise Ball – If your boss allows it, trade in your chair for an exercise ball. It will workout your core muscles, force proper spine alignment, improve circulation and make you feel more energised than sitting at a regular chair.