Description creates a vivid picture for the reader, it allows them to open a gateway to your story and imagine themselves within your fictional world. Of course, that doesn’t mean you have to go into detail about everything for every scene. It’s about conveying important information to the reader in strategic places.
Here are some ideas of practising describing :
Practising describing thoughts and feelings
- Describe your feelings as they arise within you: “A feeling of anger of arising within me”.
- Describe your thoughts when you feel a strong emotion: “I feel X, and my thoughts are Y.”
- Describe your feelings after someone else does or says something: “When you do X, I feel Y”.
- Describe thoughts, feelings, and what you observed others do: “When you do X, I feel Y, and my thoughts are Z.” “When X occurs, I feel Y, and my thoughts are Z.”
- Describe as many of your thoughts as you can while feeling a string emotion.
Practice describing your breathing
- Each time you inhale and exhale, as you inhale, be aware that “I am inhaling, 1. “When you exhale, be aware that “I am exhaling, 1.” Remember to breathe from the stomach. When beginning the second inhalation, be aware that “I am inhaling”, 2. And, slowly exhaling, be aware that “I am exhaling, 2.” Continue on up through 10. After you have reached 10, return to 1. Whenever you lose count, return to 1.
- Begin to inhale gently and normally (from the stomach), describing in your mind that “I am inhaling normally.” Exhale in awareness, “I am exhaling normally.” Continue for three breaths. On the fourth breath, extend the inhalation, describing in your mind that “I am breathing in a long inhalation.” Exhale in awareness, “I am breathing out. along exhalation.” Continue for three breaths.
- Follow the entrance and exit of air. Say to yourself, “I am inhaling and following the inhalation from its beginning to its end. I am exhaling and following the exhalation from its beginning to its end.
For more tips of practising describing, tap here > https://empress2inspire.blog/2021/03/09/practising-describing-part-1/