Ways in which trauma affects people
Some of the most common reactions to trauma are listed here and few we will discuss in tomorrow’s post. These reactions are often linked to one another, one may lead to another. It is not your fault if you are experiencing (or not experiencing) any of these.
- Strong feelings and emotions – As well as anxiety, trauma can expose us to many strong emotions. All of these are common :
– Anger and Irritability – especially if you are stressed and not getting enough sleep.
– Guilt and Shame – People often blame themselves for things did or didn’t;t do, or feel judged by others.
– Grief and Depression – You might be grieving for what you lost or feeling sadness about how your world has changed.
What can I do to help someone who has experienced trauma?
There is a lot you can do for someone who has survived trauma :
- Let them know that you care about them and are there is they need help.
- Let them know that you are willing to listen if they want to talk about how they are feeling or what they experienced.
- Don’t judge them for ways they are reacting, or things they have done.
- Don’t force them to speak if that is not what they want.
- Help them with basic needs if they require assistance (e.g. food, housing, money).
Here’s more information on trauma > https://empress2inspire.blog/2021/03/21/reactions-to-trauma-part-2/