Herb Garden Suggestions Part 1
Even if you live in an apartment, condo, or living situation that doesn’t come with a yard or garden space you can still cultivate your own herbs in the kitchen, a sunny window sill, or patio! There are a plethora of herb garden ideas you can choose from that will literally spice up your life!
The best thing about this kind of gardening is that it really doesn’t take a lot of effort to put together. Some herb garden ideas can be as simple as throwing a few seeds in a trio of tin pails and setting them on your kitchen window sill. Not only do these miniature edible gardens look pretty, but they’re functional as well and you can use the herbs fresh from the countertop!
Here are some herb garden suggestions :
- Culinary Garden – Rosemary, parsley, thyme, basil, oregano, cilantro/coriander, sage, chives, horseradish, tarragon, summer savory, winter savory, marjoram, lemon balm, fennel, dill, garlic, mints, caraway, lovage, nettle, nigella, bay, borage, and cayenne.
- Salad Garden – Salad burnet, lovage, borage, French sorrel, calendula, chives, garlic chives, and lemon balm.
- Lemon Garden – Lemon balm, lemon verbena, lemon thyme, lemon geranium, lemon myrtle, lemon catnip, lemon savory, lemongrass, lemon scented geranium, lemon caraway, lemon basil, and lemon mint.
- Bee/Butterfly Garden – Bee balm, lavender, mints, sage, echinacea, valerian, lemon balm, calendula, borage, nasturtium, fennel, and milkweed.
- Dyers Garden – Calendula, onion, elderberry, alkanet, goldenrod, lady’s mantle, nettle, motherwort, bloodroot, woad, and indigo.