Heart Opening Herbs Part 1
According to many different energy healing systems, the heart chakra is where all of the meridians in the body converge, making it the power center of the body. When the heart chakra is in balance a person will feel physically and emotionally balanced, embody the qualities of nurturing, compassion, empathy, friendliness, be active in the community, have a discriminating mind, be a humanitarian, be able to see good on others, be able to surrender in a love relationship, and have healthy use of will power.
When the heart chakra is deficient a person may be paranoid, indecisive, have a fear of letting go, a fear of being hurt, a fear of being free, a fear of being abandoned, have feelings of unworthiness in love, and in need of constant reassurance. When the heart chakra has excessive energy a person may be demanding, be overly critical, possessive, moody, have a martyr complex, may love conditionally, withhold love or generosity, be melodramatic, manic depressive, and possibly experience hyper-tension (especially tension between shoulder blades).
Here are some herbs for opening your heart :
Rose (Rosa spp.)
- Cooling, Uplifting
- The aromatic and astringent taste of rose is best in an infused honey or tea.
- Stop and small the roses.
- Energies – cooling, drying
- Taste – Astringent
- Parts used – Petal, fruit
- Actions – Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, aphrodisiac, nervine.
Linden (Tilia spp.)
- Sweetening, relaxing
- The sweet honey like taste of linden tea, often called “the tea of happiness” is just the thing when your heart needs a little uplift.
- Energetics – cooling, moistening
- Taste – sweet
- Parts used – flower and bract, leaf, twig
- Actions – Carminative, demulcent, diaphoretic, hypotensive, nervine
Hawthorn (Crataegus spp.)
- Heart opening gladdening
- Divinely intertwined with the heart: brew a cup of hawthorn tea when the heart needs energetic or physical support
- Energetic – slightly cooling, drying
- Taste – sour, sweet
- Parts used – leaf, flower and berry
- Actions – anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, cardiotonic, hypotensive, nervine.