Dandruff, psoriasis, eczema, and head lice are common causes of an itchy scalp. Regardless of the cause, various home remedies can help relieve an itchy scalp, or scalp pruritus. People can use essential oils, colloidal oatmeal, and over-the-counter (OTC) products to relieve the itch. People with persistent scalp itch that does not respond to natural remedies may benefit from medicated shampoos.
Here are some home remedies for itchy scalp :
- Coconut Oil – The drier your scalp, the itchier is it. So, keep your scalp moisturised.
- Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil moisturises and nourishes the scalp and eliminates the dryness.
- Baking Soda – Baking soda is not only an antibacterial but also an anti fungal agent.
- Olive Oil – Two major components found in olive oil, namely oleocanthal and oleuropein, have anti-inflammatory and skin protectant properties.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice is a natural antimicrobial because of its acidity and phytochemical present in it.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe vera gel is a natural moisturiser.
- Peppermint Oil – Peppermint oil is used across the world for soothing itchy and inflamed skin.