Trauma and emotional distress can change us on a physiological level. If we are pushed too far, we may lose our ability to cope — and our bodies pay the price. Fortunately, you can mitigate your trauma response and enjoy better health.
Here are some physical impact of trauma :
- Brain Architecture – Shrinkage in prefrontal cortex, corpus callosum, and hippocampus. Enlarged and more reactive amygdala. Resolution : Safe and stable nurturing relationships, walk in nature, touch, exercise.
- Brain Waves – Predomination of wrong brain waves in wrong part of the brain leads to anxiety, unable to concentrate, and seizures. Resolution : Neurofeedback.
- Neural Pathways – Need to “rewire” our brain from old thought patterns and habits of mind, conscious, and unconscious. Resolution : neurofeedback, mediation/mindful action, positive self talk.
- Neurotransmitters – Vulnerable to addiction because dopamine transmitters/receptors not developed or damaged. Reduces motivation and focus, creates fatigue. Low serotonin causes depression.
- Hormones – Prolonged high cortisol and ghrelin creates greater reactivity to stress. Long term damage to cells, structures of the body, and other hormone glands (thyroid)., Resolution : oxytocin (“the love hormone”)
- Cellular Change – Shortens telomeres which prematurely ages and reduces reproduction of cells and can cause cancer. Resolution : Social support.
- Epigenetic Change – Epigenetic turns genes on or off in adaptation to dangerous environments. Effect can last generations. Resolutions : Safer environment (perception of).
- Toxin Elimination – Intestines and kidneys less able to eliminate toxins (slow gut or unbalanced flora). Resolution : salt baths, sauna.
- Nervous System – Supercharged sympathetic nervous system. Parasympathetic nervous system not engaged to bring back into balance. Resolution : yoga, breathing or other physical/emotional regulation.
- Immune System – Resistance to cortical or lower cortisol creates unchecked inflammation. Cause of many disease :asthma, arthritis etc. Resolution : meditation/mindful action, walking in nature, diet, rest.
Working with a professional may be uncomfortable at first, but it can improve your psychological, endocrine, and immune health, which will make your life more fulfilling down the road. You can also confide in a close friend, family member, or even a journal as you begin to make lifestyle changes to heal both your body and your mind. To get more awareness of effects of trauma, tap here > https://empress2inspire.blog/2021/02/26/what-is-trauma/