Boundaries are limits we set for ourselves. Everyone’s boundaries are different, and they are based on what is personally important to us. Boundaries can be set in several aspects of life, such as work, relationships, family, and in conflict. Boundaries can be set in several aspects of life, such as work, relationships, family, and in conflict. Boundaries can be physical or emotional limits and help to determine a person’s comfort level, needs, and preferences. Essentially, boundaries dictate how we want/allow ourselves to be treated, and how we treat others. Healthy boundaries allow for accountability, respect, and open communication.
How to Set Boundaries
Setting boundaries may take time and practice. Don’t get down on yourself if it feels hard.
- Identify what behaviours from others is acceptable for you, and what might cause discomfort.
- Clearly communicate your boundaries with others. Learn to say no and be assertive. You can choose to explain yourself, or not. Remain confident, respectful and assertive either way.
- Decide what to do if someone breaks your boundaries. This may mean a tough discussion, take time away, or ending a relationship.
– Please don’t do that (Please don’t take my food without my permission)
– I’m not comfortable with this (I’m not comfortable going to that person’s house)
– I need some time alone when I get home.
– I want you to tell me how you feel, but it is not okay for you to yell at me or slam things.
– I want to hangout this weekend, but is not okay to bring alcohol or drugs. If you do, I will leave.
What are your boundaries?
- What is important to me?
- What are some of my boundaries?
- How do these boundaries protect my values?
- What boundaries do I need to set?
- How can I effectively communicate my boundaries?
- How can I set and maintain these boundaries?
- Why are my boundaries important to maintain?
- How do my boundaries vary depending on the person/setting?
Want to learn more about boundaries? Tap here > https://empress2inspire.blog/2021/03/01/what-are-your-boundaries-part-1/