When done right, baking can be an incredibly calming and gratifying process, yielding mounds of fresh, hard-earned baked goods. However, when the baking process goes awry it can lead even the most level-headed cook to the brink of madness. After all, baking is a science and the smallest miscalculation or mistake can result in a frustrating finished product that doesn’t hit the mark or fails altogether.
Here’s how to fix common baking mishaps :
Not Baking Evenly
– Make sure dough tis rolled and distributed evenly.
– Check if oven temperature is accurate with an over thermometer.
– Test for hot spots. Toast slices of bread in the middle of the rock and note more toasted areas. Avoid these spots or rotate pans while baking.
Cookies Spread Too Much
– Let butter soften to room temperature for about an hour. Don’t microwave.
– Place eggs in warm water for 10 minutes to reach room temperature.
– Make sure baking powder and soda are fresh and active.
– Chill the dough before baking.
– Sift flour to aerate it out for consistent measurements. Level with the flat edge of a knife.
– Use the right kind of reassuring cup for liquid and dry ingredients.
Come back tomorrow for more baking mistakes and how to correct them.