Zumba is a fitness program that combines Latin and international music with dance moves. Zumba routines incorporate interval training — alternating fast and slow rhythms — to help improve cardiovascular fitness. Zumba is an aerobic activity that can count toward the amount of aerobic activity recommended for most healthy adults by the Department of Health and Human Services.
The guidelines recommend at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. But even small amounts of physical activity are helpful. Being active for short periods of time throughout the day can add up to provide health benefits.
Here are a few health benefits of Zumba :
- High Calorie Burn – One of the best things about Zumba is that it blasts through between 500 to 1000 calories per hour depending upon the intensity of the class. This makes it one of the most effective calorie burning exercise classes around and by doing a Zumba class once a week you can shed over 1lb of body fat per month.
- Full Body Workout – A further benefit of Zumba is that it brings your entire body into play and give you an effective full body workout. As a result, you’ll develop a tight, toned, physique and target all the muscles in your body by attending Zumba classes regularly.
- Fun Filled Workout – Another great thing about Zumba is that it’s so enjoyable that you don’t even feel like you’re exercising. The relaxed party atmosphere and exciting dance moves come together to create a fun filled workout experience that keeps you coming back for more.
- Suits All Fitness Levels – Whether you’re just starting out on your fitness journey or you’re looking for something that will test your fitness limits to the max, Zumba is an excellent choice. Since you’re in full control of your pace during the class, you can adapt the intensity to your current fitness levels.
- Social Benefits – If you don’t like working out on you own, Zumba is a great way to keep fit with others. The friendly community atmosphere of a Zumba class also gives you the motivation to keep coming back to the classes and exercise on a regular basis.
More health benefits in the next post.