We all know that the more you move throughout the day the better. And between working from home, stay-at-home orders and closed fitness centers, it can feel impossible to move enough, let alone get 10,000 steps (or more) a day. So what can you do when you’re forced to spend prolonged periods of time sitting at home, don’t have a standing desk and can’t move as much as you’d like?
Besides moving more throughout the day and aiming to get regular exercise, there are several other things you can be mindful of if you sit a lot. Here are some tips on how to improve posture while working :
Hand on Back
- Sit up tall with your pelvis upright as if it were filled with water, none spills.
- Place the back of your hand on the small of your back. Draw your shoulder blade towards your spine as you slowly lift your hand away from your body.
- Repeat for 15 repetitions on each arm.
- Keeping your pelvis upright, place your hands with your fingers facing downwards on your pelvis bones so that your pinkie fingers are touching in the middle of your spine. Use your hands to help you maintain an upright posture and a stable low back.
- Keeping your chin tucked into your chest, gently arch backwards so that your chest opens up and you feel a gentle stretch across your collar bones.
- Hold this position for 2-3 breaths.
- Repeat once for a total of two repetitions.
Need some inspiration to exercise your mind as well? Tap to learn more > https://empress2inspire.blog/2020/08/23/tips-to-exercise-your-brain/
- Raise your right arm above your head, maintaining a gentle bend in your elbow. Act as if there is a strong pulling you up from the crown of your head to find length in your spine. Being to gently lean to the left side, allowing the bend to come from your ribs (right side of ribcage should open as the left side closes).
- Hold this position for 3 breaths.
- Try to maintain balanced weight between your hip bones
- Repeat for 3 repetitions on each side
Come back tomorrow for more exercises. We all need them.