We all know that the more you move throughout the day the better. And between working from home, stay-at-home orders and closed fitness centers, it can feel impossible to move enough, let alone get 10,000 steps (or more) a day. So what can you do when you’re forced to spend prolonged periods of time sitting at home, don’t have a standing desk and can’t move as much as you’d like?
Besides moving more throughout the day and aiming to get regular exercise, there are several other things you can be mindful of if you sit a lot. Here are some tips on how to improve posture while working :
Seated Roll Down
- Tuck your chin as if you are holding a ball between your chin and chest. Without letting your pelvis roll backwards, bend forward as if you are trying to roll the ball down your chest towards the bottom of your ribcage.
- Stop the movement when your pelvis starts to move.
- Hold this position for 3 breaths.
- Roll back up, one vertebrae at a time and repeat for 2 more repetitions (3 total), adding one additional breath each time.
- Sit up at your desk, with your pelvis upright start by raising your arms by your side as if you were to mimic a cactus (elbows at 90 degrees). You should feel a gentle stretch across your chest.
- Be mindful not to let your ribs pop out.
- Slowly raise your arms by melting your shoulder blades down your back until your fingers are touching. Maintain contact of your fingertips as you slowly bring your hands behind your head without touching your head. Be mindful not to allow your shoulders to ribs to raise.
- Reverse the motion and repeat 3 times.
Here are some more exercises > https://empress2inspire.blog/2021/01/30/exercise-to-improve-posture-part-1/
Hope these help with the posture.