Tech-free sleep

Spending nights off the grid can improve your health

Is your smartphone or tablet the last thing you see before dozing off and the first thing you wake up to? That could cost you a good night’s sleep. Because when you look at a device, your brain is being stimulated rather than relaxed. The result: groggy mornings and less productive days.

Adults regularly getting less than seven hours of sleep a night are also increasing their risk for:

• Weight gain
  • High blood pressure
  • Adult onset diabetes from high blood sugar
  • Heart disease
  • Stroke
  • Mental health issues

If your tech needs aren’t in sync with your sleep cycle, don’t worry. These five simple tweaks can help you sleep better and longer:

• Move it. Charge your device far from your bed, where you won’t be tempted to sneak a peek in the middle of the night.
  • Dim it. That bright blue light coming from your screen? It can mess up your body’s natural rhythms and production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle. So dim your screen or use a red filter app at night.
  • Set it. Don’t trust yourself to turn it off? Set a bedtime alert and stick to it.
  • Lock it. Losing yourself for hours online? Yes, there’s an app for that — an app-blocking app.
  • Block it. Avoid late-night notifications or unwelcome calls. Select the “do not disturb” mode on your device for uninterrupted shut-eye.

Poor sleep can affect your mood, your focus and your health. Choose sleep time over screen time today.

Reference : https://file.anthem.com/119757ANMENABS.pdf

1. Well…easy steps to follow

Yup, sleep procrastination, or staying up for pretty much no meaningful reason, is a real thing. What’s more, findings show that most of us are guilty of it, and the biggest time suck is—you guessed it!—watching shows or using social media.

And let’s get real. Even if you put your phone on your nightstand and try to read a paper book since it’s only a matter of time before you reach for it and start scrolling again.

So just keep it out of your room. Sure, it may feel strange at first. But after a couple of tech-free nights, you might find yourself more energized and refreshed than you’ve been in a while.

2. These days i have been disciplining myself and sleeping well.

It’s no secret that technology makes it easy to tackle work-related stuff anytime, anywhere.

And sometimes, it’s necessary to occasionally check email, update social media, or wrap up a project once you get home at night. But bringing all that stuff into your bedroom often might leave you a little crazy. And very much awake.

But I am so glad you are getting tech free sleep

3. Loku says:

GS or General studies (😜sorry) your post is short and sweet. Good night and sweet dreams to you.

4. Victor Negro says:

Practical steps to follow. Thank you for this.

Most welcome Victor

5. Dave Williams says:

This post makes me glad — again! — for reading a book in bed. Much calmer than looking at a screen before sleep.

Reading books is much better (not on your phone). … Also the font size on the phone is small and the glare from the screen of the phone will harm your eyes over a long period of time. With books you can underline relevant passages, make notes on the margins and really personalize your experience.

1. Dave Williams says:

Agreed!

Thank you for the reblog.

1. Always a joy and pleasure to read and share your posts with followers, My Dear! Have a great day!!
        xoxox 😘💕🎁🌹

6. DiosRaw says:

🙏🖤

Thank you for the reblog.

7. jcain1511 says:

Hi, this is great advice, I find the days that I’m on my phone just before I sleep are the days that I struggle to get to sleep.
    100% think reading a book and then dozing off is much better for me – helps me get to sleep easier too!

I can understand where you are coming from Cain. Checking your phone stimulates the brain so we are more active and awake. Even just a quick check can engage your brain and prolong sleep. What can make this habit even worse is feeling the need to constantly be connected and available.

Thank you for sharing.

8. Shruthi says:

There is so much depth and power in your writing it’s a great read.
    Wishing you all the very best for your future writings!!

Glad you liked the post

9. SultanZtech says:

Thanks for the great article, I absolutely confirm that having the mobile aside when sleeping is more dangerous to health and should be left far so that we can sleep better.

I am glad you agree. The blue light that your smart phone emits is not only bad for your vision, but it’s bad for your brain too. Dr. Walia says that research has found a correlation between suppressed levels of melatonin and exposure to blue light. Melatonin is a hormone responsible for controlling your sleep-wake cycle

Thank you for sharing.

10. Smit says:

What alternative you would suggest till I actually fall asleep because I find a time where I feel so sleepy that I put the phone down and sleep.

Here are a few
      – Breathing
      – Good things happened during the day (I usually think about what I ate, makes me happy..lol)
      – Be grateful for being able to sleep in a bed and in a secure environment
      – Listen to music without lyrics