Aromatherapy for Babies and Children
Even the smallest children will appreciate the beautiful scents of essential oils and there is no reason not to familiarise them with aromatherapy’s benefits early in life.
One of the first senses to develop in newborn babies is a sense of smell. Within a week a child can identify its mother by scent alone and every new smell will become part of its store of memories. When an infant’s sense of smell is linked to that of touch, notably he loving touch of a parent, the benefits can be enormous. Research has shown hat touch and massage have a marked effect soon children’s growth, both emotionally and physically.
A Gentle Introduction
When your child is in a new situation, starting nursery for example, put a little oil on a handkerchief for your infant to smell. This will provide reassurance and a comforting reminder of you. Oils can also be used to treat conditions such as eczema but care must be taken when using them.
Encourage your children to use aromatherapy at home.
Suitable essential oils for children
Children respond well to aromatherapy and regular use of essential oils can boost a child’s immune system and so prevent illness and infection. For babies under two years old, try :
- Chamomile – Widely regarded as the children’s oil, this is very low in toxicity, safe and gently for use with children. It is also veery versatile, and can be used to treat a range of conditions including coin, restlessness, teething and skin complaints.
- Lavender – This versatile essential oil is especially suitable for children, who will frequently catch coughs and colds and suffer the symptoms of headache, tummy aches and earaches. It is also a powerful antiseptic, apply to scabs to prevent scarring.
Oils suitable for children over two years old :
- Rose – Combines well with neroli to create a calming massage oil.
- Tea tree – Fights infection. Mix 10 drops each of lavender and tea tree oils in a cup of water to bathe cuts and grazes.
- Mandarin – Blend this oils with geranium for an aromatic massage.
- Bergamot – Blend in a dilution of five drops each with tea tree, chamomile and lavender oils mixed with 50ml of rose water, to reduce chickenpox itching for children over age five.