Zumba is a fitness program that combines Latin and international music with dance moves. Zumba routines incorporate interval training — alternating fast and slow rhythms — to help improve cardiovascular fitness. Zumba is an aerobic activity that can count toward the amount of aerobic activity recommended for most healthy adults by the Department of Health and Human Services.
The guidelines recommend at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. But even small amounts of physical activity are helpful. Being active for short periods of time throughout the day can add up to provide health benefits.
Here are a few health benefits of Zumba :
- Improved Cardiovascular Fitness – Zumba classes are filled with high intensity dance moves that get your heart pumping and your blood flowing. This strengthens your heart, lungs and vascular system and allow them to pump a greater amount of oxygen around your body. Ultimately, this results in your body being able to produce more energy when you exercise.
- More Motivation – If you struggle to motivate yourself during your workouts, you should definitely try a Zumba class. The catchy music along with the instructor and the other people in the class provide you with a constant source of inspiration and encouragement that you can draw upon when you start to feel tired and use to keep your energy levels high throughout the class.
- Increases Intensity – As well as keeping your motivation levels high, Zumba classes also ensure that you workout at a high intensity. This high intensity class structure stimulates the release of HGH (human growth hormone) (a hormone which supports increases muscle growth and enhanced fat burning) in your body. These higher levels of HGH ultimately make it easier to develop a leaner, more toned physique.
- Better Coordination – One unique benefit of Zumba is that it tests your coordination in a way that very few other exercise classes do. The fast paced dance moves require you to move all your body parts in conjunction with each other and over time this allows you to become much better at controlling the way your body moves.
- Improved Mental Fitness – Zumba doesn’t just benefit you physically it also benefits you mentally. The fun filled party atmosphere naturally melts stress away, boosts your mood and makes you feel happier. This elevated mood stays with you outside Zumba classes and has a positive effect on your overall mood.