When done right, baking can be an incredibly calming and gratifying process, yielding mounds of fresh, hard-earned baked goods. However, when the baking process goes awry it can lead even the most level-headed cook to the brink of madness. After all, baking is a science and the smallest miscalculation or mistake can result in a frustrating finished product that doesn’t hit the mark or fails altogether.
Here’s how to fix common baking mishaps :
Egg Whites Won’t Fluff
– Use room temperature eggs.
– Use a capper, stainless steel, or glass bowl and dry mixers.
– Whip at high speed until stiff peaks form and stay when you lift beater out of the bowl.
Sunken Baked Goods
– Put batter in the oven as soon as it is ready.
– Do not open the oven door while baking.
– Make sure you use the right amount of rising agent.
Too Firm and Chewy
– Avoid overtaxing the dough or cranking up the speed of your mixer.
– Mix wet ingredients first, then add dry ingredients. This prevents the over development of gluten.
Come back tomorrow for more baking mistakes and how to correct them.