Psoriasis is a chronic skin disease that results from a malfunction of the immune system. Skin becomes inflamed and growth of skin cells increases. Psoriasis can develop at any age but usually first appears between the ages of 15 and 35 years. Some people inherit genes that make them more likely to develop psoriasis but that does not mean
that they will.
There is no cure, but lifestyle changes and medical therapy can significantly reduce the effects. Also there are some home remedies that you can use to treat it. Here are a few :
- Licorice – Boil licorice root in a pot of water. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Let it cool. Soak a cloth and apply on skin three to four times a day.
- Glycerin – Apply generously on the skin. Leave it on for one to two hours before rinsing. Use three times a day for four to five weeks.
- Oatmeal – Add oatmeal to your bathwater. Soak in the bath for 30 minutes to one hour. Repeat daily for several weeks or during psoriasis flare-ups.
- Aloe Vera – Break off the leaf and extract the gel. Apply on a small part of your skin. Wait for one hour. If there’s no redness or swelling, apply on other affected areas of the skin. Leave it on for several hours. Do this three times a day for two to three weeks.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Mix vinegar into the water. Soak a cloth in the mixture. Apply on the skin. Repeat several times during the day. Do this remedy for one to two weeks.
- Turmeric – Dissolve one teaspoon of turmeric powder in milk. Drink everyday for two to three weeks. Combine one tablespoon of turmeric powder and black pepper. Add water and mix well. Apply on affected areas of the skin. Do this everyday for 14 weeks.
- Cool Compress – Wrap ice cubes with a towel. Press gently on the skin. Leave it on for five to 10 minutes. Use this remedy several times a day.
- Epsom Salt – Add salt to bath water. Soak in the bath for 30 minutes. Do this remedy two to three times a week during flare – ups.
- Olive Oil – Add the honey to a glass of warm water. Stir well. Drink this mixture on an empty stomach.
- Garlic – Combine garlic oil and aloe vera gel. Apply on the skin. Let it stir for 15 minutes before rinsing. Do this once a day for two to three weeks.
While you can use these home remedies for treating psoriasis. By teaming up with a dermatologist , you can find a treatment plan that works for you.