We’ve all had those days when we just can’t seem to concentrate. And while there’s no magic pill to bring us back to the height of our cognitive powers, there are some foods that have been shown to improve brain function, protect against age-associated cognitive decline and encourage focus and clarity.
Here is a list of foods to boost your brain power :
- Green Veggies – Leafy greens such as kale, spinach, collards, and broccoli are rich in brain healthy nutrients like vitamin K, lutein, folate and beta carotene. Research suggests these plant based foods may help slow cognitive decline.
- Fatty Fish – Fatty fish are abundant sources of omega-3 fatty acids, healthy unsaturated fats that have been linked to lower blood levels of beta-amyloid – the protein that forms damaging clumps in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Berries – Flavonoids, the natural plant pigments that give berries their brilliant hues, also help improve memory, research shows.
- Tea & Coffee – Coffee and tea might offer more than just a short term concentration boost. In a recent study, participants with higher caffeine consumption scored better on tests of mental function.
- Walnuts – Nuts are excellent sources of protein and healthy fats, and walnuts in particular might also improve memory, according to study.