The Acai Berry is a Superfood. Acai is actually said “Ah-sigh-ee”. The Acai Berry is sourced from the Euterpe Oleracea. Acai Berries grow on plan trees. The Acai plant is native to South America, and the jungles of the Amazon Rainforest. Indigenous Amazonian trigged contribute majority of their good health to Acai, with over 25% making up their daily food total. The name Acai, is thought to come from the Legend of laca, Acai spelt backwards.
The Acai berry has many actives including Reservatrol. They are rich in Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, E and Vitamin K. It contains minerals, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Manganese for optimal health. The Acai berry contains over 44% fibre.
Here are some health benefits of Acai :
- In the Amazon the Acai plant was used to treat diarrhoea, fever and ulcers.
- Acai berries possess a lot of Omega 6 and 9. Omega oils (oleic and linoleic acid) protect cardiovascular health and have even been shown to reduce High Cholesterol and Blood Pressure.
- Acai berries are antioxidants. They prevent free radical oxidation and destruction of cells. Lowering oxidative stress.
- Acai married have been shown to slow ageing process due to their high levels of antioxidants.
- Due to its high level of fibre it increases satiety, thus reducing cravings and appetite. This can lead to greater Weight Loss.
- One study showed that Acai berries prevented the growth of Cancer cells by upto 80%.
The Acai plant only really became popular in the late 1980s and 1990s as it was sold to Health Companies.