Are You Allergic or Intolerant?

A true food allergy causes an immune system reaction that affects numerous organs in the body. It can cause a range of symptoms. In some cases, an allergic food reaction can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, food intolerance symptoms are generally less serious and often limited to digestive problems.

While these are just definitions, let’s look at both these in depth to understand them better.

Allergy

• Age – Developed from infancy. 2% of adults and 6-8% of children have an allergy
  • Reaction – Immediately 2 hours or less. Skin, digestion and airways are mainly affected.
  • Is it Deadly? – Even trace amount of foods can trigger severe life threatening reactions.
  • Common Types – Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, milk, fish & shellfish.
  • How many foods? – Rarely more than 1 or 2 foods.
  • Do they go Away? – No, they are persistent and are lifelong
  • Self Assessment – Immediate reaction easier to identify.

Check out some home remedies for allergies > https://empress2inspire.blog/2020/12/10/home-remedies-for-allergies-part-2/

Intolerance

• Age – Any age, 45% of the population suffer from food intolerance
  • Reaction – Delayed reaction to a food upto 72 hours after eating the offending food. Bloating, joint pain, IBS, tiredness, eczema, low mood, headache and weight gain are symptoms
  • Is it Deadly? – No
  • Common Types -Wheat, gluten, milk, fruit and vegetable.
  • How many foods? – Can be multiple
  • Do they go Away? – Symptoms can clear after avoidance of offending foods.
  • Self Assessment – Delayed onset of symptoms and a possible intolerance to multiple foods makes self diagnosis tricky.

Living with lactose issues, tap here for solutions > https://empress2inspire.blog/2019/10/04/living-with-lactose-intolerant/

Reference : https://i.pinimg.com/originals/de/6e/ff/de6eff1d97277e5af81a891d3b986e2c.jpg

1. I have asthma and I’m allergic to shellfish and seafood. Thanks for your article! 😊

Most welcome

Yes there is a subtle difference

2. the greatvincent says:

I am allergically intolerant

You mean allergic & intolerant

3. Sandi says:

YES! I have an allergy to Pineapple. If I had a piece when I was younger, I’d get a small rash on my hand and I’d scratch it (small hives) – didn’t think much of it and didn’t make the connection until into my 20s & later in life – I drank these pineapple drinks and my entire body had hives all over it the following day. Dang. I like Pineapple on occasion. Especially if in HI. As for milk, I used to drink it all the time and as I got older, I just stopped and now, I have intolerance to dairy. GASSY. So now I have to get lactose free milk, and only have it some times. My body is less tolerable of many things as I’ve aged.

Hmm 🤨 allergies and intolerances are frustrating indeed. But the key is to be aware to avoid any serious damage. talk to your doctor. They may recommend taking an over-the-counter antihistamine tablet to alleviate your symptoms, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Another trick to ease the burn is to pair pineapple with yoghurt or ice cream as it will give the bromelain enzyme another protein to digest instead of the ones on your tongue.

1. Sandi says:

Ok …or I just don’t eat it. Because Dairy kills me so why would I pair pineapple and dairy together? hahahahah

Oh G…don’t eat please 🙏🏼

3. Sandi says:

Hahahahahah

🙏🏼😊

4. Shyami says:

Your information on allergies is wrong. People do get out of allergies and people do have multiple allergies, sometimes even as many as ten, Allergies are usually reaction to protien. For example dairy allergy is because of the protein in the dairy, Where as for lactose intoerance, it is the sugars in milk (lactose is sugar)

5. gpavants says:

Garima,

I am thinking due to my digestion I have intolerances more than allergies. I bet it’s the amount or combination that set things off.

Yes it is possible Gary

6. queentracey1 says:

Thank you so much, I have been battling trying to figure out if it’s milk or lactose ( who knew they were different) and trying to figure out if it’s allergies, I’m just starting this so your article helped clear a few things up. I love your blog, I hope you don’t mind that I reblog most of your stuff!!!! Thank you!

I don’t mind at all. Feel free to reblog. I am glad you found my article useful.

7. Good read. I am a nurse who works with asthma and allergy patients. Thankfully there are treatments for allergies.

Most minor allergy symptoms can be treated with antihistamines, corticosteroids, or decongestants. Saline nasal rinses can be used for congestion-related allergy symptoms. Corticosteroid creams can treat skin rashes related to allergies.