Learn how to get the right balance
Our eating habits, along with activity levels, affect our health more than anything besides smoking. When life gets busy, though, nutrition is often the first thing we let slip. It takes some extra time, but planning ahead and making healthy meals and snacks can add years to your life.
Here are a few tips to make healthy choices and get the right balance in your diet
- Carbs give your body the fuel it needs for physical activity. Whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans are good choices. They’ll give you vitamins, minerals, fiber and other important nutrients. Skip things like white bread, white rice, pastries, soda and highly processed foods, like packaged snacks. Those carbs come from refined grains and won’t keep you satisfied for long.
- Protein from plant-based foods like beans and nuts is the healthiest. Fish and poultry are also good sources. If you want to eat red meat, pick the leanest cuts and only eat it once in a while.
- Fiber can help protect you against certain health problems. A diet with a lot of whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits will help you get the fiber your body needs.
- Vegetables and fruits can also help protect your health. Go for color and variety: dark green, yellow, orange and red.
- Fats are part of a healthy diet, if they come from sources like plant oils, nuts and fish. Try to limit the amount of foods you eat that have saturated fats — like cheeses and meats — and avoid trans fats. Read the labels on packaged foods to make sure they don’t have any trans fat.
Come back tomorrow for more healthy eating tips. Here are some tips for intuitive eating > https://empress2inspire.blog/2020/12/18/principles-of-intuitive-eating-part-1/
Reference : https://file.anthem.com/MANSH0309ABS.pdf