Withania somnifera (Ashawagandha) is very revered herb of the Indian Ayurvedic system of medicine as a Rasayana (tonic). It is used for various kinds of disease processes and specially as a nervine tonic. It is an adaptogenic herb that has been used for medicinal purposes over 2,500 years. It is popular in Ayurvedic medicine because of its many healing qualities.
The root of Ashwagandha is regarded as tonic, aphrodisiac, narcotic, diuretic, anthelmintic, astringent, thermogenic and stimulant. Here are some of the main uses :
- It helps boost muscle strength and mass.
- It reduces joint pain.
- It increases endurance and stamina.
- It boosts immunity.
- It normalises blood sugar levels.
- It relieves adrenal fatigue.
- It reduces inflammation.
- It improves symptoms of depression.
- It enhances under active thyroid function.
- It reduces brain cell degeneration.
- It combats anxiety and stress.
- It improves heart health.
- It enhances male fertility and sexual function in men and women.
Ashwagandha is used as a household remedy by Indians, who consider it as the best tonic for old people and children, and as aphrodisiac by young people. Although there has been some research done to support the health benefits claimed for this herb, it would be advisable to consult a medical practitioner before treating any serious medical condition with Ashwagandha.