Benefits of Walking

Walking is often called the perfect exercise. It’s remarkable something so simple putting one foot in front of the other can be so restorative and invigorating. But the medical evidence is compelling. Taking regular brisk walks helps you stay healthy, live longer and boosts your self-esteem and mood.

Here are few benefits of walking that will motivate you to walk more, everyday :

• Boosts Endorphins : Endorphins ease stress, tension, anger, fatigue and confusion in ten minutes.
  • Limits Sickness : It reduces of chances of getting cold to 50%.
  • Arm and Shoulder Exercise : Not just the legs, walking exercises and tones your arm and shoulder too.
  • Building Bone Mass : Walking reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
  • Strengthens Legs : Yes, all muscle groups, the quadriceps, hip flexors and hamstrings.
  • Burns more Fat : Walking burns more fat than jogging.
  • Improves Blood Pressure : If your heart can work less to pump, the force on your arteries decreases, lowering your blood pressure.
  • Improves Balance : Walking helps build lower-body strength, an important element of good balance.
  • Prevents Memory Loss : Moderate exercise such as walking ‘boosts memory power’ Walking for 40 minutes a few times a week is enough to preserve memory and keep ageing brains on top form, research shows.

Walking is a great form of exercise and can be used throughout the day. It is easier on your body than running and can be a great social activity, too.

1. Frank LaManna says:

Empress…I do sooo much walking. I haven’t had a car since 2014..I hope I’m reaping all these wonderful benefits..💕💪

1. Yes you are. Keep the positive side up!!!!

2. Great blog! Good job of promoting walking and all its benefits.

Thanks, and have a great day.

1. PB says:

I am glad you liked it. Thank you.

2. Manoj Mehra says:

Nice post. Walking is simplest exercise but people have become so lazy that they don’t want to walk and use vehicles for even small distances. Walking, cycling and swimming are three simple exercises that anyone can do and be fit and healthy.

1. Walking is good cardio exercise — if you go at a brisk pace of at least 3 miles per hour. Cardio or aerobic exercise works your large muscles over and over and pushes your heart and lungs to work hard. Over time, this makes your heart stronger — it’s a muscle, after all — and more efficient.

3. kyleoyier says:

Wow great post.I will be walking more

1. Sure it is beneficial for health.

4. Dragthepen says:

👍 had a beautiful three mile walk today exploring New York City.

5. Mirrox says:

Tq for ur likes. Iam new to blogging..plz help me to learn about the blogging. My insta; krish_hari

1. Just keep writing everyday.

6. Agreed. I am reaping the benefit of this simple yet very effective exercise. I walk about 3-5 Kms at 4 times a week 🙂

1. Walking is low impact, requires minimal equipment, can be done at any time of day and can be performed at your own pace. You can get out and walk without worrying about the risks associated with some more vigorous forms of exercise. Walking is also a great form of physical activity for people who are overweight, elderly, or who haven’t exercised in a long time.
      Walking for fun and fitness isn’t limited to strolling by yourself around local neighbourhood streets. There are various clubs, venues and strategies you can use to make walking an enjoyable and social part of your lifestyle.

7. Walking is a huge part of my exercise to control my sugars. I usually walk briskly for at least an hour six mornings per week. Not only are my sugars under control, I feel energized to write more and post to my blog. Truly a win-win!

1. I agree with you that walking is a win win. With new workouts hitting the scene every day, it can be easy to neglect one of the easiest—and most effective—exercises of them all: walking. But while the act of walking is simple, its benefits are anything but. Walking has been shown to improve everything from heart and lung health to brain power and memory. Still, you don’t want to go about your walking routine with no strategy or goals in mind. That’s why we’ve rounded up the best studies and science around everyone’s favorite exercise. With these benefits in mind, you’ll be parking your car at the opposite end of the parking garage and swapping your mid-afternoon coffee break for a mid-afternoon walk in no time.

1. Thanks for sharing more thoughts.

8. Ms. Mae says:

I dance and walk at the same time.
    If I miss one day of my “exercise” my brain AND body can feel the difference!

1. Yes it is very important to be active everyday. Physical activity or exercise can improve your health and reduce the risk of developing several diseases like type 2 diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease. Physical activity and exercise can have immediate and long-term health benefits. Most importantly, regular activity can improve your quality of life. A minimum of 30 minutes a day can allow you to enjoy these benefits.

1. Glad you agree. Do you walk daily?

1. I love walking. I daily walk 40minute stretch.

2. That is wonderful. Keep at it. Good luck.

3. Thank you Garima 🙂

9. Hey! Thanks for the like on my post! I totally agree with your sentiments on walking! Trying to hit a minimum of 6k steps a day, and it really makes a difference.

1. That’s amazing. Staying active increases our life span and build body resilience. Thank you for stopping by.

10. Joel Abakah says:

Interesting. All that from walking. I’ve got to step up my walking game 💯

1. Start slow and then gain momentum. Give your body time to recover 🙂

11. Joel Abakah says:

That last point 👍

1. Thank you. I am glad you liked the points.

12. Joel Abakah says:

Prevents memory loss… interesting 💯

1. Yes there is a research on this. Participants who walked at least 72 blocks per week, or between 6 and 9 miles, had more gray matter volume in their brains nine years after the start of the study than people who didn’t walk as much. Researchers say those who walked the most cut their risk of developing memory loss in half.

13. Great info. Thanks. I walk a lot, maybe I’ll start walking more. It’s such a great way to stay grounded and see what’s going on around us.
    💕

1. A great fitness walking technique will give you better comfort, power, and speed. Whether you are a beginner or you want to improve your walking workouts, these four steps will make a difference.

Many people take up walking without thinking about the proper walking form. But your posture, foot motion, stride, and use of arm motion make a big difference in your walking speed and ability to walk energetically.

Learning to use good walking posture will help you breathe deeper, relax your shoulders and neck, and avoid back and hip pain. By using the right arm and foot motion, you will propel yourself forward with power and without wasted effort.

14. cgdtaylor says:

Walking is great but don’t forget cycling too!

1. Ah yes if the roads are good and your knees are okay, cycling is the best exercise.

15. tidalscribe says:

I don’t have a dog, though I have had two in the past; a dog is a great way to walk and very sociable. But all is not lost if you don’t have one. I don’t drive either; walking is an excellent, environmentally friendly way of getting where you want to go, seeing lots along the way and acknowledging your neighbours and other fellow humans.

1. We can always find reasons to walk :):)

1. Ana Daksina says:

Reblogging this to my readers at sister site Timeless Wisdoms

2. PB says:

Thank you Ana for the reblog. Gratitude.

16. Reblogged this on and commented:
    I prefer walking over running. I feel like my knees and joints will thank me when I’m older.

1. PB says:

Thank you for the reblog.

17. Ben Naga says:

It doesn’t spew out noxious fumes either. Plus you don’t have to look for or pay for parking. 😀

1. PB says:

Exactly, very economical:):)

18. Ankur Mithal says:

Agree. Simple and healthful, which people trying to squeeze MORE out of every minute tend to overlook.

Yes indeed. I am glad you agree.