Daily Dose of Inspiration – Don’t be Stupid

From social media posts, to traditional blog posts, to webinar announcements, to online “branding” courses, self-titled experts were telling their respective audiences to quit their day job.

These “opt-ins” were promoted by doing what marketers have done all along to sell products, appeal to a person’s emotions, be it their point of pain or simply an interest. This can be easily accomplished by using emotionally triggering words and phrases such as: job frustration, underpaid and overworked, stressed, and my personal favorite, “why work for someone else when you can work for yourself.”

Entrepreneurship is a beautiful thing, but faith and clever posts doesn’t mean the first thing you should do is quit your job. It’s time to end the fantasies and get realistic. Ask yourself few questions.

1. Have I made an effort to remedy any situations clouding my judgment? – Lets assume that your boss has no clue about the definition of a work-life balance, or the possibility of a clearly defined role is merely a pipe dream. Before you quit, ask yourself whether you’ve made any attempts to resolve these issues. Sometimes, things are not as bad as they look. If you keep on thinking negative about something, nothing good is going to come out of it. Think of the situation as a third person.
  2. What’s my game plan for the future? – Maybe you have a solid business plan drafted for your new venture or have  already solidified a few contacts in your desired field. A solid game plan moving forward makes everything manageable during such a tumultuous time plus it helps managing the finances. But if you are okay with living on the streets, knock yourself out.

If you do not have a convincing answer to any of the above questions, then DON’T BE STUPID & DO YOUR JOB.

1. simpledimple says:

This was an excellent post and well timed. It resonates! 🙂 You took the thoughts out of me and poured it out for all to see. I’ve been thinking about this new trend which I call a facade a whole lot. It’s crazy and sometimes I get confused when I read all the jargons on social media. Thanks for penning this down. 🙂

2. Actually I’m too young to be thinking of this. But sometimes I do think the same. A stupid thought that comes to my mind is if everyone quit their 9 to 5 jobs, we would have no one to serve us at the banks, hospitals, any customer service related jobs. The big companies won’t even exist, because the large number of employees make them big. I’m not completely against the ‘find your passion’ thing. But I think we should use our talents and skills to help the world and the system. That’s a nice post. Thanks!

3. Z F Wild says:

This is so true! I learnt that the hard way but now that I see it, I am better off without a job. But, yes, you have to compose yourself and be understanding of the consequences, as far as working alone and being a freelancer writer goes.

4. successorinspirational says:

This is to true. Many of us made such mistakes. But an empty bank account made me to think straight.

5. gpavants says:

Hi Empress,

Very sound advice. Hope all us good. Have not heard from you for a while.

Gary

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 12:48 AM Be Inspired..!! wrote:

> empress2inspire posted: “From social media posts, to traditional blog > posts, to webinar announcements, to online “branding” courses, self-titled > experts were telling their respective audiences to quit their day job. > These “opt-ins” were promoted by doing what marketers have done” >

6. eliza rudolf says:

Nice post👌👌👌

7. msw blog says:

Great post and some sound advice. You and your readers may enjoy this post on career insight and the side hustle

8. psiberite says:

You left the choice of being an entrepreneur so crucial. Anand Bose from Kerala

9. Keturah Ford, M.S. Ed. says:

Love this. I share your view. My day job is a job I love. I know this isn’t everyone’s reality but entrepreneurship should not be the “escape” for an “easy” life.