Daily Dose of Inspiration – The Purpose of Guilt

Guilt!

It’s a universal emotion. We all feel it. And I believe dealing with guilt is very important for our emotional (and physical) health.

Life is so diverse and full of so many different experiences that it’s impossible to go through life without accumulating guilt – no matter who you are! But hanging on to guilt serves no purpose.

The things you feel guilty about will probably be completely different to the guilt that I hang on to. It may relate to something “big” or not so big in the grand scheme of things – but that is irrelevant. All that matters is your perception of the events that created your feelings of guilt, and the effect that your ongoing guilt is having on your wellbeing. Overcoming guilt is about learning from our past actions, choosing different behaviour in the future, and then letting it go.

All guilt does is make us feel bad and keeps us stuck in the past. Feeling guilty about something is not going to change it, it will just drag you down – emotionally, physically and spiritually. We hang on to it as a way of punishing ourselves. We think we need to stay feeling guilty as a way of acknowledging our perceived mistakes.

In reality, the things we regret probably didn’t affect the other person or people involved near as much as we think they did. And the more we replay events over and over in our mind, the worse we seem to make them. It’s like the old Chinese Whispers game going on in our head.

Let it go. Be Free! Don’t be afraid to be yourself again.

1. cigarman501 says:

I continue to tell myself “They don’t even know you are alive….” Doesn’t work. Nice try, enjoyed your post.

1. Don’t seek validation outside of yourself :). I have learned it the hard way (in fact I am still learning). Awareness is very important to bring about a change. We need to be able to make understand where we are going astray from our peace.

2. Wm. Allen says:

Probably good to let things go, but hopefully one doesn’t let something go so quickly that they repeat the mistake.

1. Right on target. Learn and let go of things. Sometimes it takes us repeat a mistake to learn but it’s important to be aware of where we are going wrong.

3. Absolutely agree. Last year I felt so guilty about everything. I felt like I was doing a half a$$ed job of every aspect of my life and nearly hit breaking point. Thank you for this post, you are right, what happens in your brain is like chinese whispers and the more you think about it, the worse it gets… I’ve nominated you and your blog for the Blogger Recognition Award – https://happylittlehousewife.wordpress.com/2017/01/24/blogger-nomination-post/
    Let me know if you decide to do it I would love to read your post (you don’t actually have to do anything the post says to do). I just wanted you to know that I appreciate your blog.

1. Thanks for the nomination. Apologies, but I will have to decline 🙂
      Best to you

4. Guilt at times is good….misplaced guilt is wrong…but I would want to feel guilty if I hurt someone or even worse murder someone. Its a sign that my conscience is still alive. But placing your locus of happiness outside you is a problem. Only you can decide how happy or sad you want to be . Moment you let others decide that…you will be weeping forever

1. Fantastic words..!!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They completely resonate with mine.
      Best to you

5. ceruleaner says:

I my opinion, the most important thing why guilt exists is to make us wiser and stronger. If we know we did something wrong, then we should ask for forgivnence and the that ‘lipstick on our mirror’ will daily remind us not to do it again.

1. Fantastic example. Thank you!! I agree with you, guilt should be taken as a opportunity to learn and grow, to look within.
      Best

6. ceruleaner says:

Forgiveness*, I accidentally misspelled it 🙂

7. George F. says:

And all this time I thought only Catholics felt guilty. Mea Culpa.

1. We all are in some way or the other. No One is spared 🙂

8. peanutgallery247 says:

Well said…I concur

9. gpavants says:

Hello Empress,

Emotions all have their place, right?
    You are so right that guilt reminds us we are first not perfect and second, letting go of junk helps us hang on to a healthy state of being.

Gary

1. Couldn’t have said this better than you have Gary. Thank you!!