Fasting is one way to have your cake and eat it too. Beyond the already proven benefits of a low-carb lifestyle, fasting once in a while seems to offer many of the same benefits of calorie restriction – you know, stuff like increased longevity, neuro protection, increased insulin sensitivity, stronger resistance to stress, some cool effects on endogenous hormone production, increased mental clarity, but only if you do it right.
So here are some tips and tricks for intermittent fasting :
- Exercise – While exercise isn’t absolutely necessary to shed weight while intermittent fasting, it certainly helps. Just 30 minutes a day most days of the week is enough to rev your metabolism and melt fat fast.
- Drink Water – Staying hydrated is the best way to curb hunger pangs and keep cravings at bay. Aim at atleast 8 glasses of water per day while intermittent fasting. But more is better!
- Track Your Progress – Tracking your intermittent fasting start and stop times is sure to keep you on target.
- Black Coffee – Opt for black coffee in the morning to stay fasted, curb your appetite and get you to your next meal with energy and focus.
- Try the Salt Trick – Hungry! Try the salt trick! Pour a little salt on your wrist and lick it off. For some reason, this really works to curb your appetite and keep cravings at bay.
Overall, fasting just seems right. It’s like a reset button for your entire body, presumably across a large spectrum of maladies and dysfunctions. It puts your body into repair mode at the cellular level and it can restore normal hormonal function in the obese or overweight. Now, you don’t have to fast, but it’s definitely something to consider.