Best and Worst Foods for Asthma

We are what we eat ! Diet effects health profoundly. Diet influences diseases too. An asthmatic who is careful about diet and food is able to better control his/her asthma. Shortness of breath at mealtimes can make eating hard work. If you use all your energy preparing a healthy meal, you may find yourself unable to eat and/or enjoy what you have prepared.

Here are a few practical suggestions on how to conserve energy and get the most from your meals :

Foods To Eat

• Brightly coloured carotenoid foods – root veggies, sweet potatoes, carrots, leafy greens, berries.
  • High – folate foods – green leafy vegetables, beans, nuts
  • Vitamin C foods – leafy greens, citrus fruits, cruciferous veggies, berries.
  • Vitamin E foods – Nuts, seeds, healthy plant oils.
  • High magnesium foods – greens, nuts, seeds, beans, cocoa, certain ancient grains
  • Cruciferous veggies – broccoli, broccoli sprouts, brussels sprouts
  • Antimicrobials – garlic, onions, mustard seeds
  • Raw milk & cultured dairy
  • Probiotics & high-fibre foods – whole grains, nits, beans, seeds, raw vegetables
  • Omega-3 foods – mackerel, sardines, orange roughly, salmon, trout, tuna, nuts, seeds
  • Vitamin B5 foods

Foods To Avoid

• Trans fat – fried foods, processed vegetable oils, hydrogenated fats.
  • Bottle – fed powdered & pasteurised infant formulas
  • Processed foods & high-sugar foods
  • Common food allergens – pasteurised milk products, gluten, soy, eggs, nut
  • Food preservatives & food colouring – MSG, tartrazine, sulfites, sulfur dioxide
  • Animal products treated with hormones & antibiotics – farm – raised fish, factory farm meat

Although finding out about your food allergies may feel restrictive initially, creating an asthma diet around your food allergies could be more convenient overall. A diet of fresh, whole foods with little or no added processed food is typically the safest diet and one that would be good for anyone.

1. kUsHy says:

Hi Kushy, I am glad you liked it. some dietary patterns, such as the Western diet, which includes a high intake of refined grains, processed and red meats, and desserts, have pro-inflammatory effects. On the contrary, the Mediterranean diet, with high intake of fruits and vegetables has anti-inflammatory properties. The influence of food on asthma outcomes is of growing interest, but dietary habits of asthma patients are not commonly investigated in clinical practice. Thank you for stopping by my blog today.

1. 189pkh says:

Garima .. I like most of your post .. can I translate these post in kannada language!(My mother toung). I will be great pleasure for me.

Sure. Please do give credit to me 🙂

2. Thanks I’ve had asthma all my life

Then I am glad this post came to you at the right time:)

3. Good information. On a lighter note, trans fat is that notorious kid in every group. Regulation on it yet, will help.

Same here as well 🙂

Yes Manohar. There’s some evidence that eating omega-6 fats and trans fats, found in some margarines and processed foods, may worsen asthma, and other serious health conditions such as heart disease.

1. Agree that Garima. Whenever I visit grocery store, I make sure to pick stuff that are trans zero on the label. Somehow, I feel it’s a marketing gimmick by the seller to pick their products by placing these labels(zero trans fat). As people have a paltry idea on these things, unless they’re educated about it and how conscious they’re in what they eat.

Great insight Manohar.

4. edas07 says:

I know this is a bit off topic, but I would love it if you made a post on good things to do to help you fall asleep- this was a great post by the way!

Sure will do. 🙂

5. Great post! I have asthma and I am always trying to get a hold of it without taking too much medication.

Thank you. I am glad you liked it. The natural treatment of asthma focuses on several key principles: reducing allergic exposure, reducing the sensitivity and spasticity of the airways of the lungs, balancing the allergic/inflammatory pathways in the body, and correcting nutrient imbalances.

Glad you liked it. Nutrients that are important in the treatment of asthma include vitamins C, B6, and B12, and the minerals selenium and molybdenum. There have been 11 clinical studies since 1973 that have studied the use of vitamin C in the treatment of asthma, seven of which showed significant improvement. Vitamin B12 and molybdenum both act to reduce sensitivity to sulfites, a common ingredient of restaurant foods that aggravates asthma in an estimated 5-10% of sufferers.

Hi Jude, Plant-based diets, especially raw vegetable diets, may have antioxidant, antiinflammatory, and immunomodulatory effects against asthma, resulting in beneficial effects for prevention and control of asthma. Thank you for stopping by my blog today.

1. judeitakali says: