For some people, there’s no greater pleasure than settling into a comfortable chair, cracking open the stiff spine of a new book, and diving headlong into a different world. Books open up infinite possibilities and pleasure, but sadly, reading is a pastime that fewer people are engaging in.
Reading is probably one of the most beneficial and feasible activities that a man can do. It is through reading that a person is going to be able to discover new ideas, concepts, places, and people. Here are some of the reasons why you should incorporate reading in your daily life :
- Reading brings existing neural pathways in the brain to life.
- Reading complex poetry in particular helps the brain remain elastic and active.
- Frequent brain exercises, like reading decreases mental decline for the elderly by 32%.
- When you read a book you have to remember a lot of things, including the different characters, and also the main plot and any subplots throughout the story. All of these points throughout the story are a new memory in your brain, which means new synapses being cerated and existing ones being strengthened. Therefore, your brain’s short term memory and recall capabilities improve.
- A study showed that depressed patients in the mental health world showed positive improvement when they were read stories aloud. they reported feeling better and more positive about things.
- In the case of depression, self help books are the best type because people with severe depression benefit greater from a low-intensity intervention. Self help books fit into this category, so not only does reading them help patients with depression, but he topic also adds a benefit.
- Researchers have demonstrated that reading can reduce stress by around 68%.
- Elderly patients who regularly played mentally challenging games or read books were two and a half times less likely to develop Alzheimer’s.
- Creating a bedtime ritual, like reading before bed, signals to your body that it’s time to wind down and go to sleep. However, this only applies to real books as screens like e-readers and tablets can actually make you awake longer and hurt your sleep.
- Children who read are better able to grasp abstract concepts, apply logic in various scenarios, recognise cause and effect, and utilise good judgement.
- Numerous studies have shown that students who are exposed to reading before preschool are more likely to do well in all facets of formal education.
- A children’s book exposes your child to 50% more words than watching a television show.
- Researchers have discovered that those who read about characters doing something are more likely actually to do that activity in real life. This means that you’re more motivated to ask your employer for a raise, or complete that bucket list you’re meant to get to.
- Identifying with characters in the book also helps you experience the type of real life relationship you would experience with a real person, which means you identify with people who are shy if you read about a shy character.
No entertainment is so cheap as reading, or any pleasures so lasting, reading may look very prickly outside but if we actually remove the husk, it is our companion that assists us to go through our livings. It will not only refresh our mind and soul but it will give us a great outlook towards life.
Categories: Mental Health