Meditation – Types & Benefits

The main objective of the meditative experience is to shift the focus of the mind away from the frenzied thoughts of everyday living, such as worries about work, family, finances, or simply the “to-do list” of the day. Meditation involves trying to train your thoughts to stay in the present moment, because in the present moment there is true peace.

Personal experience with meditation is required in order to accurately and sincerely communicate expected benefits. Here are some of the meditation types and their benefits for you.

• Guided Meditation – A relaxing meditation where someone guides your body and mind into deep relaxation through mental imagery and spoken word. Its benefits include profoundly deep relaxation which helps effect positive personal changes like curing negativity, fear or stress.
  • Mindful – Focused attention and awareness on the present moment by watching your natural breath and natural occurring thoughts. Its benefits are that it is a key element to creating happiness and acceptance of self in the present moment without judgement.
  • Mantra – A word or series of words repeated over and over and over again, silently or loud. The benefits of mantra are that it reduces anxiety and depression while boosting immunity and is soothing all at the same time.
  • Energy – A combination of specific breathing patterns and specific visualisations practiced simultaneously. The benefits are that increases physical energy quickly along with the subtle energy bodies to increase ones life-force vibration.
  • Kundalini – A powerful form of meditation combining Mantra and Mudra (hand position) and sometimes movement. Its benefits are that it revitalizes and purifies the nervous system while rejuvenating the brain & body therefore enhancing consciousness and releasing self destructive behaviours and addictions.
  • Breathing – Yoga breathing techniques repeated over and over often including words or numbers to assist. It creates a calm, clear and spacious mind which results in physical rejuvenation and a peaceful outlook.

Meditation can give you a sense of calm, peace and balance that benefits both your emotional well-being and your overall health. And these benefits don’t end when your meditation session ends. Meditation can help carry you more calmly through your day and improve certain medical conditions.

1. I used to meditate routinely and have let it go. Reading this makes me think I could stand to reintroduce it to my life.

Hey, yes I can connect to that. Try focused meditation. Meditation is a popular technique for relaxation and stress relief that can significantly increase your ability to concentrate and focus. Focus is the ability to pay attention to one thing at the expense of all others, which can be very difficult in a society that emphasizes multitasking and success. Thank you for stopping by today.

2. wanderingshaman says:

What’s the most effective one for you. For me it’s always mindfulness

I have found Mantra chanting helpful. Helps me focus better. I do affirmations instead of Sanskrit mantras most days. Just chanting “Om” is peaceful.

3. Very helpful post. I have shared it on my FB page http://www.facebook.com/maggiesvitamins Thanks for this.

Thank you for sharing this Maggie. I am glad you liked it.

1. I will be sharing it elsewhere as well. I like when things are short and to the point. People are so busy these days, we have to absorb info in small doses so it’s perfect!

Yes short and sweet.

4. Betul Erbasi says:

I found Guided Meditations useful initially. But later, focused meditation and breathing were on point. But regardless of type, all meditation is useful.

Hi Betul, I like focused meditations too. I like doing affirmations as chants. For breathing there are a lot of research. Mindful breathing exercises can do wonders for your brain, a new study suggests. Lately, more and more studies have confirmed that yoga and mindfulness benefit the brain as much as the body. Just 25 minutes of yoga or mindfulness have been shown to improve brain function and boost energy levels, for example. Thank you for stopping by today.

1. Betul Erbasi says:

Thank you for the good information!

5. New info. Lot of techniques mentioned.
    A primitive form of meditation,called sleep for eight hours at a stretch Is what I follow 😉

Hahahhahahha I like that one too.

6. busker boy says:

This is a very helpful post Garima – thank you. Very clear and very useful 😎

Glad you liked it.

7. Life Coach says:

Hey Garima,
    This is really meaningful, inspiring and to the point. I got to know lot more about meditation. Thank You!

I am glad you found my post useful. Thank you for stopping by.

Glad you liked it. Do you meditate?

8. Lydia says:

Everyone should meditate. It is good for the body, mind, and spirit.

Yes indeed Lydia. Meditation is one of the most effective ways to cope with stress and find a sense of inner calmness and peace from the daily pressures that life brings. There is no greater reason for why you should meditate every day. Thank you for stopping by.

9. Mayur says:

Mediation is completely outstanding for human life, it help to reduce stress & joint with nature. I like & do meditation.

Excellent. What kind of meditation do you practice?

1. Mayur says:

Rajyog, but I didn’t give full time.

👍🏼👍🏼

10. David Lim says:

I find meditation is not only confined to a special sitting position, and in a quiet environment. Meditation is about pulling back unwanted thoughts into position, cleaning up space, and slowing the pace of time in mind. In my daily routine with all the distractions are used as tools to my meditation. Seeing, or hearing from a context is deceiving to the mind as it has the natural tendency to interpret further than necessary. My mind is very naughty. It toys with me by lying.

So, in my quiet moment I do the traditional meditation in silence, and in my outdoor hours, I do “mind my own business” meditation. The attempt is to draw away from the lies of myself. With the availability of space and time created, I bring myself closer to the truth. If that is at all possible. So, meditation is not just 20 minutes, it is minuted every moment (mindfulness, or be aware of your thoughts) until time feels like slowing down, and “Kaput” – diminishes.

Please don’t take my opinion too seriously as I like to joke around. This is a personal point of view, and observation.

I am glad and thankful that you have shared your opinion. These are some amazing thoughts. Before opening your eyes in the morning, in the half-awake half-asleep twilight state, have you ever noticed how your mind generates creative solutions, deep insights, (often bizarre) dream-like imagery & symbolism, while having an almost omniscient quality? Or ten minutes into your morning shower, have you ever experienced a stream of einstein-like thoughts, striking like random bolts of lightning?

Then try now :):)

11. David Lim says:

“Einstein-like thoughts striking like random bolt of lightning”. Phew! That sounds heavy stuff happening to any person. If not careful, it could be an experience of going looney. It’s a fine line separating a “nut” and a genius.

Hahhahah noooooo. It is a life changing moments.

1. David Lim says:

I had a crazy experience once. It was about 3 years ago. Very intense spiritual episode which made me accept that there is something more to us than what we see in ourselves from the level of the mind. Something more than the mind was felt. Maybe it was the soul. Whatever it was, it was infinite. It took me awhile to write about the experience because I was recovering from the trauma. I wrote and posted it as one of my articles in my blog to make sure I got it archived. If you are interested to know what happened, tune into davidlimsite.wordpress.com. It was posted on January 2016. Quite a long way back.

Will do. Thank you for sharing your inspiring story.

12. Pam Young says:

I practice mindfulness all day. Sitting meditation, practiced for thirty years, now happens whenever I find a quiet place, any time of the day. And yes, I have been “struck by lightning with powerful thoughts that are not my own”–like when a car was coming head-on towards me on the highway and I was waffling about “pull over” vs. “stay put.” The Thought was loud: “Don’t pull off the road. Hang on tight.” I

13. Pam Young says:

Oops. My computer is dying and it posted before I finished. What I wanted to add: I now distinguish between “thooughts” as mine and “Thoughts” as guidance.

Thank you for stopping by Pam and sharing such a wonderful insight. Everything is energy and you attract what you are thinking. Just now a few minutes ago I was thinking about law of attraction, thoughts and energy and whether it is all true and here you are confirming that if we control our monkey mind and train it to see what we want, everything is possible. Thank you. Namaste